Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mad Dog needin' advice on Old School (But new) Wood Tank and Long Flush pipe Pull Chain Toilet

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
Hey guys. Always wanted to install one of these. The Old Cabin at Our August Saratoga Racing Meet Summer Camp on Saratoga Lake at The Russo Acres Property, had one installed in early 1900s...couldn't beat the flush. Its very sentimental to me. Anyone had a brand or model they have installed? Thanks Mad Dog

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,097
    edited February 2023
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,787
    edited February 2023
    I salvage one from a building, toilet dated to the 1890s in an 1861 building. I installed it in an 1868 house and It worked great. Flush action happens because of a siphon created with the long pipe. It Used a small spud and also had restrictions in the passage ways just inside the spud to slow down the action created by the elevated tank.   One thing that was required was called a feather edge washer. It fit where the cast iron flush tube sits on the ush valve seat.  

The reproduction models don't get any of the engineering right, the just put the tank up high and charge a fortune for that. 

Search on fb marketplace an eBay.  Patience. 
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
    Mad Dog_2
  • JimP
    JimP Member Posts: 87
    The old ones flush well! I can’t recommend a new model but I think they’re out there. I installed one that I found abandoned in a dead basement bathroom. We restored the turn of the century house and I installed it in a second floor bath. Stayed all original. (I stripped the paint off the oak metal lined water tank). I used a new tank to bowl gasket to replace the long gone flush valve gasket and it worked fine! The flush valve was a heavy cylinder attached to the chain. I had to use silicone to seal up the flush valve pipe where it met the bowl. With that the toilet worked great and looked very cool! I can’t remember the name but it was blue and enameled into the bowl the way some antique fixtures were.

Sadly we sold the house about 20 years ago so I’m no longer able to admire and enjoy it. Good luck finding something nice
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,966
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thanks guys. I like it Jamie.  Renovators supply has similar ones.  Don't have the time to refurbish one.  Thanks though.  Mad 🐕 Dog
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 955
    edited February 2023
    If you contact Renovators Supply, ask them if they have or can get toilets and accessories from a company that is no longer in business called "Heads Up" that was in California, that sold probably what you are looking for. When my wife and I built our first home in 1978, we installed most of their stuff but she would not allow the "throne" toilet. I wish I had bought it but she said "it's me or the toilet". I still have their catalog but they went out of business many years ago.
    Mad Dog_2
  • ChrisJ

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Mad Dog_2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,319

If you contact Renovators Supply, ask them if they have or can get toilets and accessories from a company that is no longer in business called "Heads Up" that was in California, that sold probably what you are looking for. When my wife and I built our first home in 1978, we installed most of their stuff but she would not allow the "throne" toilet. I wish I had bought it but she said "it's me or the toilet". I still have their catalog but they went out of business many years ago.

Have you ever regret your decision? I know that if I were in that situation, I would have missed my wife a little.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

JUGHNEMad Dog_2
  • guzzinerd
    guzzinerd Member Posts: 244
    Have you ever regret your decision? I know that if I were in that situation, I would have missed my wife a little.
    Lol, the fact he still has the catalogue says a lot.  
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
    Mad Dog_2
  • retiredguy
    I think I made the best choice since my wife and I have been together for 60+ years. Happy, Happy, Happy
    guzzinerdMad Dog_2
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    edited February 2023
    Matt, if you don't want to buy one for $300, hump it home, solder up the tank and fix it up you can call these guys:
    https://deabath.com/product-category/toilets/antique-toilets-and-tanks/

I've dealt with them. Great things, and they'll have exactly what you want. Nice people but you'll pay a nice price too. Good for parts if you find something elsewhere.

I know you won't settle for a reproduction.

Hey, you're in the City every day. Someone's got one you can have!
    Mad Dog_2Dave in QCA
  • Mad Dog_2
    Awesome guys.  Yes Chris from The Greatest movie ever made.  Mad Dog
    ChrisJLong Beach Ed
  • ChrisJ
    Mad Dog_2 said:
    Awesome guys.  Yes Chris from The Greatest movie ever made.  Mad Dog
    I can't believe you're the only one that got it!

Mad Dog_2
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 112
    Here's some pics of the "Loo" found in the maintenance quarters of a music hall in Haverhill, MA.
    The structure was up for renovation and had a chance to go in for a look.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    ...Kickstand, all that needs is a new seat and it's like new!
    Larry Weingarten
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,179
    Is the bowl cast iron?
  • Mad Dog_2
    I'm trying to find Made in 🇺🇸 USA if possible..no luck so far.  Mad Dog
  • ChrisJ
    Mad Dog_2 said:

I'm trying to find Made in 🇺🇸 USA if possible..no luck so far.  Mad Dog

You could always start a company making them right there in NYC.
  • retiredguy
    @Mad Dog 2, if you want a copy of the 4 page catalogue showing the pull chain toilet send me your address and I will mail you one. I may be able to e'mail you one but I would need to see a friend who knows how to do that stuff. Technology has passed me by.
    Mad Dog_2
  • CLamb
    CLamb Member Posts: 309

Here's some pics of the "Loo" found in the maintenance quarters of a music hall in Haverhill, MA.

My toilet has the same hinge on the seat and lid. It is a "Standard compton" toilet in a house built in 1950.

Mad Dog_2
  • guzzinerd
    guzzinerd Member Posts: 244
    Re-watched "The Sting" last night and there's a scene where Robert Redford is sitting on a really nice one while talking to Paul Newman.

Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
    Mad Dog_2