Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What Is This?

Hello All,

This photo shows a dead end copper coil. The coil has male pipe threads and is threaded into a tee. The other end of the coil is crimped/flattened. This is in a hot water baseboard system. Never seen a coil like this, so I was wondering if anyone has come across one and what it's purpose is.

Comments

• Sully1266
    Sully1266 Member Posts: 14
    It’s like a shock absorber on older hot water systems eliminates thermal hammer while hot water travels through pipes displacing colder room temperature water, most times you would see them installed on a tankless coil for domestic hot water on older conversion burners, didn’t usually see them on baseboard lines maybe they had a lot of banging and installed coil to eliminate it.
    RidgeReaper56
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,987
    Are you sure that that is not a domestic water line
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,179
    Does that absorb the energy of water hammer by the torsion of the coil trying to uncoil like a spring.

I don't see how it could trap air for very long as it seems like it would get water logged quickly.
    RidgeReaper56
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,053
    I have to see how it’s connected. 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,319
    edited January 2023
    That is part of Granny Moses' still
    How many knew Jed Clampett's mother in law's last name was Moses?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

GGrossCLamb
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,179
    Ed, you probably knew her in your younger days, but avoided dating as she was jail bait back then. ;)
    EdTheHeaterManPC7060
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    It was added to absorb pipe shock , that model, you had to remove and drain now and then .. Yeah that would happen :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

RidgeReaper56
  • RidgeReaper56
    RidgeReaper56 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you everyone for your input and helping me solve this.