Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Preventative replacement of 30 year old Honeywell S9301A1001 on WM GV-5

Options
Steve Garson_2
Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
edited January 2023 in THE MAIN WALL
During a real cold spell (now) and the blower motor on my GV-5 gas boiler died. I ordered a replacement blower housing assembly which will arrive tomorrow. I cleaned the inside of the boiler and vacuumed. Now I am wondering: the boiler is 30 years old, should I spend another $375 to replace the working controller (with WM 1013-200) before I get in a no-heat situation? Or do these controllers keep going and going?

As an side note: three years we installed a Mitsubishi split heat pump for cooling, but I finally got to see how it works for heating: Zero degrees outside last night and the house was heated fine. I am amazed. My unit works to minus 4. Thank goodness for redundancy!

Thanks for your input.

Steve
Steve from Denver, CO

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    If the heat pump works that well I probably wouldn't stock any expensive parts for the boiler. How long will the boiler last? Who knows. You could get 10 or more years out of it.It may outlast the HP
  • Steve Garson_2
    Options
    Thanks for input. I guess I have redundancy and shouldn't worry about another issue freezing us out.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    Fix the boiler! As you just found out having a backup source of heat is needed. What are you going to do when that electronic marvel of a heat pump needs a part that's 2 - 10 days out?
    SuperTech
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I have a 1997 GV-4 Series 2 boiler, which needs to go away, resting in my basement. Used it 5-6 years before upgrade/repipe to ModCon.

Ignition module was changed in 2002 with upgraded edition.

I am a mere 6 hours north of you. Would make a great deal.
  • Steve Garson_2
    Options
    Cast iron boilers can last a long time.  It will be working again this afternoon.  Worth it to buy parts when needed.
    Steve from Denver, CO
    SuperTech