Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Under Floor Staple Up Fasteners

Options
ecurbjk
ecurbjk Member Posts: 6
Hi All,

I have a question regarding under floor staple up pex with aluminum heat transfer plates.

I've read a good number of very helpful posts on here and I know that pex tubing expands when hot water is circulating through it. My question is related to pex fasteners. In my case, I'm fastening the pex just under the floor joist on one end of the room, I've attached a couple of pictures.

Would there be any concerns with this type of installation with regards to expansion? I know most installations go through the floor joist with very little or no fasteners. Will these fasteners or the way I have the end loops fastened prevent the pex tubing from expanding as needed? I'm not experienced with plumbing and learning as I go.

Any tips or pointers is appreciated!

Thanks
Bruce.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    May I ask why you didn’t drill the joists and run the tubing through them?

We never staple or strap the tubing in the middle of the radius of the bend in order to allow for expansion there.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesHomerJSmithkcopp
  • ecurbjk
    ecurbjk Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Bob,

The new interior wall that will go up around the room in the basement will have plenty of space from the concrete wall and I thought it would be easier to attach the pex to the wall rather than drilling holes in all the joists and running pex through them.

So far the installation seems easy but I wanted to get some feedback from folks that have more experience with this.

Would it be sufficient to just remove fasteners from the middle of the radius of the bend?

Thanks

Bruce
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited January 2023
    Options
    That'll work. You want to take care that the pex doesn't rub at an angle against the end of the plates and abrades as the pex expands and contracts.
    Ironman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    try not to have the pex touching the wood on the loop ends, it will make some noise. Let the loop ends float, no fasteners
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream