Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this?

Options
And do any of you want it?  Just found it in a corner under the building.  Maybe good for parts for someone in the forum.

Free

Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Mercoid was a control manufacturer in the 1930s and 1940s. They made all sorts of controls where mercury bulbs were used for the switching contacts. I can't tell if that is activated by pressure or a float. My father in law was a one man fuel oil dealer and did some oil burner repairs by the seat of his pants. He gave me a Mercoid oil burner primary control when he retired. Still in the box. I almost sold it to an old timer that was calling everywhere to find one to replace the one on his old oil boiler. He would not believe that the Honeywell RA117A would do the same thing. When I got there and gave him the price I wanted for the collectible Mercoid Control v. the RA117A, he elected the go with the Honeywell.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

guzzinerdIronman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Looks like a Mercoid float type low water cutoff.

@EdTheHeaterMan I know I installed new Mercoid pressure switches in the 70s.

They are still around now owned by Dwyer
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options

Looks like a Mercoid float type low water cutoff.

@EdTheHeaterMan I know I installed new Mercoid pressure switches in the 70s.

They are still around now owned by Dwyer

I think that one is older than 1970s. LOL

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

guzzinerd
  • guzzinerd
    guzzinerd Member Posts: 233
    Options
    It's here if anyone wants it.  I'll ship it no charge.
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Looks like a pressuretrol , maybe a trap ? Why a control there ? Guzz.. Curious minds want to know , can you post more info

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:

Looks like a pressure gauge , maybe a trap ? Why a gauge there ? Guzz.. Curious minds want to know , can you post more info

My guess is that the control is there to take a picture of it. According to @guzzinerd, it is there for the taking. It does not look like it is connected to anything.

Detective deduction description decided it is a LWCO since @guzzinerd has an antique steam system.
    Probably from an old boiler

Edward Young Retired

• guzzinerd
    Options
    @EdTheHeaterMan is correct.  Probably went on the previous boiler installed here in 1931.  I hate throwing out anything made this well, working or not.  Might be useful to someone who collects or needs parts from it.

More pics

• EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    Definitely a LWCO

Edward Young Retired

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I agree ,

I never seen a mercoid LWCO until now ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• gunn308
    gunn308 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Our church has a control panel, for a defunct pneumatic thermostat system, with 6 of those merc switches.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    Options
    They made a pressuretrol with the same windowed switch head.
  • guzzinerd
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Taking the mercoid off the plumbing to ship out to Texas.  Look at that huge (heavy!) copper float.

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Does it rattle? Some floats had lead shot inside to give more weight as needed.
  • guzzinerd
    Options
    JUGHNE said:
    Does it rattle? Some floats had lead shot inside to give more weight as needed.
    It does not, the walls are really thick/solid 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    They made a pressuretrol with the same windowed switch head.
    Also water temperature controls 

Edward Young Retired

• Corktown
    Corktown Member Posts: 34
    Options
    There are certainly others far more deserving of this device on this website than myself , but if nobody else wants it, I’ll definitely take it. I love old gauges and measuring devices, and I buy them not only as works of art, but also because they have a certain resonance for me. I would be more than happy to pay the shipping costs.

FWIW, I had a great time on my one visit to New Mexico. A lady friend of mine grew up in part on the Mescalero Apache reservation near Ruidoso, and we traveled around the state. As bad luck would have it, we just missed the 50th anniversary of the Roswell event, which we were unaware of. We drove into town, and everybody told us that we should’ve been there “yesterday”. Timing is everything, I guess ….
    guzzinerdErin Holohan Haskell
  • guzzinerd
    Options
    Sorry @Corktown but it's boxed up and ready to mail to Texas, on Monday. Looks like it's parts will help out another member here.

NM is a great state.
    Corktown