Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stack of old radiators sitting outside

Options
guzzinerd
guzzinerd Member Posts: 233
edited January 2023 in Strictly Steam
The new owners of the local Army Navy store let me wander around in their back area which is full of old relics including these radiators.  They don't want much for them, $50 to $100 each if i remember right.  Would it be worth grabbing a couple?  Sorry for my ignorance but do old radiators go bad?  

There are a few in my building that have been replaced with crappy modern baseboard style models.

Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
reggi

Comments

• Waher
    Waher Member Posts: 251
    Options
    Depends how long they've been sitting in the elements. They'd need to be power washed out and media blasted prior to reuse.
    guzzinerd
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    The units in the picture are steam radiators. Do you have steam or hot water?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    PC7060 said:

The units in the picture are steam radiators. Do you have steam or hot water?

From his previous posts, there is a steam boiler somewhere in the picture. If there is more than one property, I can't say if all are steamers.

The reason those radiators will not work on a Water systems is the top of each section is not connected, like the one wall hung radiator in the foreground of the first pic.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060
  • guzzinerd
    guzzinerd Member Posts: 233
    Options
    I have a steam system.  I see new cast radiators in the $100-$200 range, would it still be worth restoring one of these instead?
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
    Long Beach Ed
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    I personally have installed used radiators in homes where old water radiators have failed (from a freeze up) and have been successful. There was a plumber in Ocean City NJ who would keep old radiators he removed from old houses. He stored them outside at his workshop. He sold them for $2.00 per section. He also guaranteed that. they would not leak. If you got a leaker he would refund or let you swap. Leakers were then scrapped for cast iron value at the scrap metal recycler. All the competitors and supply houses knew about this little side business of his.

So a used radiator is just fine. Some would be sandblasted and refinished, other just wire brush and Rustoleum. The choice is yours.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

guzzinerd
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Depending on your city there may be enough of them appearing in Craigslist every week from gut renovations that you don't have to resort to ones that have been sitting outside for some years.

That's where I've gotten mine, look for $50-$100 each
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    guzzinerd
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    It's worth it if you have the time to do some work. Only you can decide that. Plus the labor to muscle them around