Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ice buildup in my fridge and odd sound

Options
Hi Folks!
My 10 year old KitchenAid fridge (French door style) started making an intermittent light scraping sound like a motor bearing was staring to fail in the freezer where the condenser motor/fan is. I took off the back panel inside the freezer and saw some ice build up on the right hand side away from the motor (see picture). The motor spins just fine and does not seem to be the source of the noise. After further investigation I realized the noise I'm hearing CONTINUES after the compressor and fridge shuts off for about a minute, perhaps while refrigerant is still passively circulating. I could not get the fridge to make the sound while I still had the panel off.

Anyone know what might be causing the ice to build up in that particular area and the cause of the noise?

Thanks!

Comments

• vhauk
    vhauk Member Posts: 84
    Options
    from from what you describe I would guess the defrost timer is bad. The ice is where the orifice tube enters the evaporator where freezing will occur first in each cycle. The noise you hear might be refrigerant flowing but that noise is very quiet. 
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    Thats where the cap tube metering device enters the evaporator. Possibly short of refrigerant. Worth fixing, is questionable.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    pecmsg said:

Thats where the cap tube metering device enters the evaporator. Possibly short of refrigerant. Worth fixing, is questionable.

It is strange how it's only in that area.
    If it's not defrosting it should be the entire evaporator caked in frost.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2
  • vhauk
    Options
    It’s also possible that the orifice tube is partially restricted or that the filter drier. 
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    vhauk said:
    It’s also possible that the orifice tube is partially restricted or that the filter drier. 
    Is it worth fixing? 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    Is it broken is the first question. Perhaps that is just an area that the defrost heater doesn't reach very well.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    Is the "scraping noise" the refrigerant equalizing, the pressure bleeding off through the capillary tube(or TXV) (or the refrigerant flowing through the capillary tube when the compressor is running)?
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    I've found the small disk type thermostat is the typical culprit. Its the black thing clamped to the refrigerant line in your picture. Easy fix.
  • vhauk
    Options
    If there is a problem in the refrigeration circuit then probably not worth fixing. We used to leave refrigerators on a deep vacuum for 3 days, with a low voltage current flowing through the compressor windings to drive out any moisture. But before condemning it rule out all other possibilities if it’s a box you want to keep