Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Knocking Radiators (Hot water heat)

Options
I've got a couple of radiators that are knocking as they heat up. Usually one louder knock vs several. I bled the radiators thinking there was air trapped at the top. No luck, they immediately spit out water and no air. Thoughts?

Comments

• leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,152
    Options
    It is simple expansion like the ting, ting, ting you hear in baseboard radiators only greater because there is
    more metal.
  • timccarpenter
    timccarpenter Member Posts: 32
    Options
    So...no real way to avoid that other than longer more consistent cycles on the boiler to keep the heat more even and avoiding as much expansion?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,708
    Options
    Is it possible a supply pipe or the radiator is "sticking" against a piece of wood floor or framing and as the system expands/contracts it "snaps" across the wood making a bang?

You can try cut pieces of milk jugs to act as sliders to eliminate the "sticking"
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    Options
    Cast iron radiators , set the boiler temperature to 140* average 130*-160* depends on outdoor temperature , the lower the better .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,208
    Options
    Outdoor reset control on the boiler better helps modulate the supply temperature, keep the system running longer cycles.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,795
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I agree and like hot rod's thoughts . saves on fuel , increasing comfort and should eliminate expansion noise . Good investment for your system ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.