Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace tube Swirl Vanes for a 2005 Trane gas-pak

CWillC Member Posts: 2
These are first engineering questions, and then parts questions.

I have a 2005 Trane YCX042G1 MOAC gas-pak. In the process of removing and cleaning the flame sensor (FS), I noticed that the burner tube at the FS was missing the Helical Swirl Vane (that is the best I can do at naming it as I find no reference to this part in the IOMs).

(See attached image)
It appears to be of a fragile, fibrous ceramic material, white, about 1.625" (4.1cm) W x 0.185" (0.5cm) thick x perhaps 16" (40cm) long, and would be secured to the outside wall of the HX with a metal clip; over its length, it twists approx 2.5 times. I found the missing swirl vane at the end of the low burner tube, in pieces. I inspected the other 3 burner tubes and determined that one was broken in half, and the other two appear to be intact. I have attempted to find this at 2 different local parts houses that carry Trane products, but they didn't carry it, nor recognize it, so, I have these questions:

a. what kind of performance do the swirl vanes provide, or inversely, does their absence reduce the performance by (X%)?_____
b. is the function of either tube with corresponding FS or igniter affected by the absence of the swirl vane? _____

for PARTS:
c. can you refer me to a parts house that specifically stocks these? ______
d. if no one stocks these ( because? ____ Due to obsolescence?_____), and then subject to the answers to a. and b. above, can you refer me to the mfr that made these originally for you?_____


  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 798
    Looks like that might be part number TRB0107 out of stock at my distributor but I don't buy direct from Trane, any trane dealer should be able to order this for you

  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 6,736
    edited January 17
    I still have access to American Standard and Trane dealer website. I can look up parts by serial number. Can you tell me your serial number?

    Never mind. GGross found it quicker

    Look in the phone book (LOL) for a Trane or American Standard dealer. That part will need to be ordered from the dealer's distributer.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • CWillC
    CWillC Member Posts: 2
    You guys are great, thanks a bunch.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 22,147
    In answer to your engineering question -- the purpose of the "turbulator" (got to love those names) is, as the name implies, to introduce turbulence into the gas/air mixture, and hence improve mixing. This provides much better, more even combustion. How much difference do they make? Without making measurements, hard to say -- but it may be significant. It will surely alter the combustion measurements, assuming you are setting up with instrumentation.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England