Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tekmar 361 and taco 3 speed 007 IFC

Options
mb123
mb123 Member Posts: 13
In my previous thread, I was able to get my system working. Thread here. https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/186066/is-my-hydronic-system-designed-incorrectly#latest

Now in optimizing it, I'm looking specifically at the taco 007 that is circulating to my second loop and it injects based on signal from tekmar 361 and outdoor conditions.

I run that taco 007 on speed 1, but the signal the tekmar 361is variable as I can see it wants to inject more or less based on demand. I feel the taco 007 very hot to the touch on the motor side and wondering if heat is being generated because this is not a variable speed pump and it's being asked to operate like one? I'm happy to put in a 007e, but wanted to check if I was missing something?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    I don't think that control is compatible with any of the ECM circulators? Some ECM can take an 0-10VDC external signal, however.

Those PSC circs should work fine with that tekmar, I think tekmar OEM circuit boards to the PSC type circs that are variable speed.

An extremely hot circ could be locked up or air bound.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    The 007 should be set to the highest speed. The Tekmar instructions state that.

And hot rod is correct: you can’t use an ECM circulator with that control. Is the Taco a 007 or a 007e?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • mb123
    Options
    i will set it to highest speed and see what happens. IT is a 007 3 speed right now. not the ECM e.

What I don't get is this is a new pump and still gets extremely hot to the touch. I replaced the old one, but it's the same exact behavior. SO I'm trying to figure out what is causing this one on the motor side to feel so hot compared to rest of the pumps. Maybe it's because I have it on speed 1. Will revert and report back after setting it to speed 3 tonight.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    How is it mounted? If the motor is vertical it could have some air trapped on the top.

It is a wet rotor, water cooled motor, so it needs water inside. Typically the run a few, maybe 10 degrees warmer then the fluid going through them.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mb123
    edited January 2023
    Options
    ok, since I flipped it to speed 3 last two weeks. It's still running hot. Even on speed 3, it's very hot to the touch. It is vertical mounted, see pic.

• mb123
    Options
    I sent a question to Watts to see what pump they recommend in this scenario.