Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding radiant heat to NTI boiler

Options
Hi All
We are adding infloor heating to a NTI Boiler sysytem which has two pumps and one existing thermosat heating the exisiting rads.
The pumps for the radiant are going to be connected to a tekmar zone control with two seperate thermostats.
My question is how do I connect the tekmar control to the boiler so that the boiler will operate when the infloor heat calls?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    What you want is not so much for the boiler to fire when the in floor heat thermostat calls, but when the circulating water in the floor needs to be warmed up. Therefore, what you need is an aquastat on the in floor heating loop which is set to turn the boiler on when needed.

Now. Remember that that in floor heating loop should be operated at a much lower temperature than your radiators. Ideally, in fact, the water flowing in the loop should be just the right temperature to keep the floor at the needed temperature to maintain the space. To do that, you are going to also need a mixing valve which will take some of the return cooler water from the in floor loop and mix it with some nice hot boiler water to arrive at the desired temperature. That mixing valve could be manually controlled, but for even better results it would be controlled by outside air temperature, and change the temperature of the circulating water to match the load.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,542
    Options

Hi All
    We are adding infloor heating to a NTI Boiler sysytem which has two pumps and one existing thermosat heating the exisiting rads.
    The pumps for the radiant are going to be connected to a tekmar zone control with two seperate thermostats.
    My question is how do I connect the tekmar control to the boiler so that the boiler will operate when the infloor heat calls?
    Thanks in advance

Which Tekmar Control are you planning on using?
    Some have sensors which will enable a boiler demand at a certain temperature..
    Some have a motorized mixing valve or a injection pump that will maintain infloor temperatures based on Outdoor reset and also limit the floor temperature with a infloor sensor so that your heat emiting surfaces (Floor) are operating at a safe temperature.

Or as Jamie said you could iust use a 3 way thermostatic valve with a aquastat.. :) .