Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dunkirk 95M-200 gas condensing boiler approaching 15 years. Should I replace it?

Nitroman58
Nitroman58 Member Posts: 16
As I stated above, my boiler is coming up on its 15 year. Thus far, I had to replace the heat exchanger around 2007 which was under warranty for the part, but not the labor. Last January, the igniter required replacement, and then again in December (last month) the igniter required replacement.
The igniter is certainly not a big expense, but has left us with manually starting the boiler multiple times for the E-02 code (ignition failure). It took close to 3 weeks to get a new igniter since my problem occurred just before the Christmas holiday. I would like to get through this winter, but I am starting to look into getting a new boiler.
My heating contractor came by last week to give me an estimate on a new boiler. He is recommending the Energy Kinetics Resolute RT because of its reliability. Unfortunately, the price for this is pretty steep. I want to think this over carefully.
My current system has 4 zones, plus another for the hot water tank. My contractor is proposing a 40 gallon water to replace the 80 gallon tank we currently have. The 80 gallon tank was probably overkill when it was put in, but we had two teenagers living here at that time. We have natural gas as a fuel source.
I have read that the high efficiency boilers tend to last 15 to 20 years, and when they break down the parts get expensive. Am I approaching the end of life on this Dunkirk unit, or should I try to ride the Dunkirk out a bit longer?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    It's a judgement call, and there is no "one right answer". From the standpoint of reliability, though, you may be getting to the point where indeed it is less expensive to replace it rather than keep repairing it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    So in 15 years, the labor on heat exchanger and 2 ignitors.

The exchanger is unusual but the rest sounds like small change.

Not at all familiar with that brand/model but, some maint books recommend replacing the ignitor every 1-2 years.

IIWM, I would just have an ignitor on hand and carry on.
    PC7060
  • Nitroman58
    Thanks. It was so hard to get the part (the ignitor). Having a spare is a good idea.
    Is there a good source for finding a spare ignitor?
    They were saying something about possibly another part involving a screen getting clogged. Do you know what that would be?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    What model Dunkirk do you have. Once we know the model number we may be able to locate the ignitor. As far as the screen??? is that part of the Dunkirk boiler or is it an accessory that is used to install the boiler
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Nitroman58

What model Dunkirk do you have. Once we know the model number we may be able to locate the ignitor. As far as the screen??? is that part of the Dunkirk boiler or is it an accessory that is used to install the boiler

As the tidal states, it is the 95M-200. The part number for the igniter is #550001325.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Condensing boilers......the max life is "supposed" to be 15-20 years. Failures are one thing the parts are expensive and with new technology coming out if your old boiler is no longer available the MFGs tend to obsolete the parts at around 10-15 years.

If it was mine (and I am old school and don't like to give up on boilers) I would get the parts list and make a list of the most common parts to fail. Then see what is available and at what cost.

That could help your decision.

You will generally get a better install in the summer when the installers are not in panic mode.

EKs are expensive but come highly recommended by most everyone on this forum
    Nitroman58
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 329
    Thank you for your post, @Nitroman58 . Good points from everyone, including working on a boiler replacement during warmer weather if that is an option. If your boiler is running well and safe, that is certainly a good option. If you'd like, call Energy Kinetics at (908) 735-2066 (or PM me), and we can connect with your territory manager to coordinate with your installing contractor and answer any specific questions you may have. For reference, the Resolute uses nearly all industry standard parts, and we stock parts for all of our boiler models dating back almost 44 years to 1979.
    Best,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    EdTheHeaterMan