Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with NEST on TACO 571-2

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
This discussion was created from comments split from: Taco Zone Valve Wiring.

Comments

• rahm0809
    rahm0809 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi all, need some help. Trying to install a nest thermostat but having issue with power on the R connection. This is the setup the house came with and heat is working fine. I tracked down all the wires to identify and created the diagram. Please let me know what should be my connection. Also added the furnace diagram as well.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,929
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @rahm0809 This discussion is from 2021, You might think of starting your own discussion. Adding new questions to old discussions can become confusing.

start with +New POST. be sure to select a category topic like Thermostats and Controls
    . If you don't select a category then you will get an error and your discussion will not post

Looking foreword to helping you.

Perhaps @Erin Holohan Haskell can help here. maybe the title is Help with NEST on TACO 571-2

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,382
    Options
    It would have been better had you started a new thread, @rahm0809 , but since you didn't..

If your diagram really is correct, you will need to swap R and W on all your thermostats. Then you should be able to connect C on the three wire thermostat to the minus terminal on the transformer.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited January 2023
    Options
    If I look at your diagram and compare it to the factory recommended diagram, there are some subtle differences. Those differences will not matter in your current situation. BUT when you need to use the C terminal from the transformer to power up a smart thermostat, you will have a problem.
    Look close at the factory diagram. The R from the transformer (in your cane the +) goes to the R on the thermostat. In your diagram the R (or +) from the transformer goes to the W on your thermostat. That makes it impossible to connect the C wire and power up your thermostat's brain. (Brain = WiFi and related internet function of the thermostat)

The W from the thermostat MUST feed the #1 on the zone valve.
    In your case the R from the thermostat goes to the #1 on the zone valve.

Now, even though you are wired slightly Bass Ackwards, It still works. But as I said above, it will not work with the smart thermostat.

IMPORTANT. You must wire both the zone valve identically. If you try to correct only the T1 thermostat and zone valve, and leave the other zone valve as it is, then there is a reasonably good chance the you will let ALL the smoke out of your transformer. Then you will have no heat.

Are you confident that you can rewire the Taco 571-2 valves correctly, or is this a little more than you are interested in trying to handle?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• rahm0809
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I tried swapping R to W only on one thermostat and connected the C wire to that thermostat and the furnace but it was power circling every minute or so. I will try swapping both thermostat and see what happens. 
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,705
    Options
    read the caution in Ed's message above

IMPORTANT. You must wire both the zone valve identically. If you try to correct only the T1 thermostat and zone valve, and leave the other zone valve as it is, then there is a reasonably good chance the you will let ALL the smoke out of your transformer. Then you will have no heat.

known to beat dead horses
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,382
    Options
    I wonder what's burned out now?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    rahm0809 said:

Thanks for your comments. I tried swapping R to W only on one thermostat and connected the C wire to that thermostat and the furnace but it was power circling every minute or so. I will try swapping both thermostat and see what happens. 

Taco zone valves have a NORMAL operating condition that NEST thermostats may consider as an error. look at this thread about using an isolation relay. https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/comment/1706292#Comment_1706292
    @HomerJSmith posted a great diagram on the use of the isolation relay.

Edward Young Retired

• rahm0809
    Options
    Thank you. If I am reading and understanding correctly, I should be connecting according to this diagram , is this correct?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Nope. you need to go to the zone valve transformer

You may also need the isolation relay if this does not work

Edward Young Retired

• rahm0809
    Options
    Hi Ed, thank you for your help… I am bit lost now. Did u mean I have to make another connection from W to the negative of the transformer? 
  • rahm0809
    Options
    Just saw the your update on the diagram. I will setup the connection tomorrow in the daylight and let you know. Thank u so much for your help. Happy new year.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    rahm0809 said:

Just saw the your update on the diagram. I will setup the connection tomorrow in the daylight and let you know. Thank u so much for your help. Happy new year.

I have a suspicion that the NORMAL Taco 571-2 operation will reveal itself as an error. If it does that, you will need the isolation relay. This is how the Zone Valve "Heat Motor" works:
    Notice the lines that I have underlined in RED. The NORMAL interruption of current designed into the "heat motor" is interpreted as an error by the Nest AI circuits.

The isolation relay fools the thermostat by isolating the heat motor from the thermostat.

Edward Young Retired

• EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    Many will recommend the RIB relays because they are very universal and easy to install.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Functional-Devices-RIBU1C-Enclosed-Pilot-Relay-10-Amp-SPDT-w-10-30-Vac-DC-120-Vac-Coil
    I have updated your diagram to the color code of the RIB U1C diagram

Edward Young Retired

rahm0809
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,315
    Options

@rahm0809
    Perhaps @Erin Holohan Haskell can help here. maybe the title is Help with NEST on TACO 571-2

Got it. @rahm0809, I've moved your discussion to a new thread here.

Thanks @EdTheHeaterMan!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

EdTheHeaterMan
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 235
    Options

Please see the attached how to wire a Nest to Taco 570 series zone valve.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,208
    Options
    Nesters don’t seem to want to share the power draw of the stat, they suggest adding their 15Va transformer. It would be nice to have that info to be sure your transformer is adequate

Three of those zone valves 24 X .9= 21.6 Va per zone valve, so 64va for just the valves, if you go by the numbers. Although you often see 3 wired to a 40Va transformer.

The question for Nest, does the battery trickle charge always, or when it gets down to 3.6V the minimum required to keep it alive, does it fast charge and pull a bunch of amps.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,868
    Options
  • rahm0809
    Options
    Ed, just finished the wiring per your guidance and updated diagram. Everything went well , tested both thermostat and heat is working great on both zones. Also no error on the nest thermostat. Will keep monitoring it and will add the relay if I see any error.
    Don’t know what else to say but THANKS. This forum is hidden gem. 
    EdTheHeaterManSteveSanHomerJSmith