Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need your advice on boiler classes

Options
RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,507
Happy New Year
I am looking to put together some in-person boiler classes for this year and wanted to see what options you think would be beneficial. I would love your input. I haven't had in person classes since before Covid

Steam or Hydronic? I am leaning toward a steam class but defer to what you feel the needs are.

City? What cities would be good candidates.

Time? Morning 8-12, Afternoon 1-5, or Evening 5-9pm Some contractors do not want their techs going during the day and losing billable hours and some techs dont like going out after work.

Commercial, Residential, or Both?

Submitted with gratitude
Ray Wohlfarth

Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons
GGross

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,198
    Options
    Some thought from 15 years of trainings.

There is no perfect formula that works every time, every location.

Attendance come down to who is available that day, if the phone is ringing off the hook, work is always the priority.

4 hours if you have great content is about the limit, before you lose attention.

a sponsor  and some give away helps  get better attendance 

Lunch after the event helps also, dinner for evening events. Pizza tends to put folks to sleep at evening classes🍕. People appreciate nice food, local sandwich shop are a nice touch for food, local donuts instead of 7-11!

people tend to show up more if you charge, giveaways balance the entry fee

Pass around are great for technical, hands on attendees. Cut always of components are always popular

Ask questions to be sure you are on the right track and to learn the experience level of attendees.

Good stories and a sense of humor are your strong points😉

Consider 1 hour short courses at their shops early morning, they are fresh then. Bring breakfast burritos 

Handouts after the class so they don’t read during the class

Invest in good projector, don’t depend on their AV equipment at locations

Remind, remind, remind, the night before, even the morning off the event, text, email, call. Contractors seem to be last minute planners

PPT tips, simple slides to trigger your talking points, don’t read off the page. Lots of jobsite pics are crowd pleasers
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Larry WeingartenEdTheHeaterManbburdjjinri
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Thanks @hot_rod I appreciate the expertise 
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,317
    Options
    Hi @RayWohlfarth , I feel silly asking, but you do have Dan's book "How to Teach Technicians", don't you? I know this doesn't really answer your questions, but I'm West coast, where steam is relatively rare, so hot water would find more takers here.

Yours, Larry
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Thanks @Larry Weingarten I appreciate it 
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,568
    Options
    You could find the active steam and hot water locations by posting jut for that on HH.

As far as steam I am in New England so in MA I would probably do Worcester which is centrally located, Hartford, Providence. I am sure there is steam up north in NH, VT and Maine so maybe Portland would get the NH and Maine guys. Vermont is pretty spread out and Albany is a pit. As far as how to operate and which days that is a tough one. Some guys would insist they get paid others wouldn't care.

Maybe start one at 1:00 pm and give them dinner so they stay around and they work 1/2 a day and get a 1/2 day seminar

jmho
    Brent H.ScottSecor
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Thanks @EBEBRATT-Ed I appreciate the help
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • hot_rod
    Options
    webinars are another way to reach a much bigger audience. I still enjoy the live events, meeting folks seeing jobsites, if number of attendees is a goal, online is where it is at. Maybe partner with Erin here for a webinar idea.

20- 25 attendees is a good turnout for a live event, you can reach hundreds in a webinar and also archive it for additional views.

Another idea is splitting your class, you present 2 hours another trainer does 2. Maybe a factory guy from a boiler or any component manufacturer. It gives the attendees two seminars for on 1/2 day commitment, and you can bounce ideas and stories between each other, make it more personal. And share expenses.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    Options
    hot_rod said:

Another idea is splitting your class, you present 2 hours another trainer does 2. Maybe a factory guy from a boiler or any component manufacturer. It gives the attendees two seminars for on 1/2 day commitment, and you can bounce ideas and stories between each other, make it more personal. And share expenses.

Sounds like Bob is looking for a side gig. :D:D:D

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,426
    Options
    Ray, ray, ray. Steam IS Hydronic! There’s your first class 😉
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    @hot_rod You have some good ideas I have done a webinar for Erin. Thank you sir.
    @EdTheHeaterMan
    @Danny Scully LOL I like it.
    Thanks all
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,313
    Options
    Great points @hot_rod.

Give me a call if you'd like to talk more @RayWohlfarth.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    @RayWohlfarth and @hot_rod You're both welcome to guest lecture at The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen any time. It would be a volunteer gig but we've got a ready-and-willing audience and you should feel free to push your product(s).
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Thanks @Erin Holohan Haskell
    @JohnNY I would like that Perhaps when Im doing a class in NY
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,033
    Options
    I'd show up.  The General Society is hallowed ground.  Live seminars rule!  Mad Dog
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    @Mad Dog_2 I would be honored to speak there. When I was there, I thought about all the other techs who honed their craft there.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Yes, for HUNDREDS of years. alot of great Deadmen walked those hallowed halls and now we do! Mad Dog
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 110
    Options
    Ray,
    I live in NH and have taught plumbing in two trade schools, no longer though. Didn't like teaching it, wish it could have been heating.
    I would check with trade schools to see if they are willing to host your classes.
    I'm not sure how to contact you here privately, but if there's a way, I'll ask admin.
    Dave
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    @Mad Dog_2 I would love asking those deadmen how they threaded 8 and 10” pipe back then
    @Kickstand55 I would like going to NH
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Men with hands and arms like sledgehammers who smoked cigars while they worked and who drank their whiskey neat! I had one or two as teachers early on. I caught the end of that era. Mad Dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    There's always Dan's Regular gigs, The Plainview Holiday Inn off the LIE which covers Nassau and Suffolk Counties and Riccardos of Astoria which draws ALL of NYC's 5 Boroughs. Mad Dog
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    @Mad Dog_2 I saw an old building with 12" threaded pipe and gasped. The largest threaded pipe I ever installed was 6" and it was heavy
    @Mad Dog_2 I did a class at Riccardos once. Forgot about that place Thanks
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Mad Dog_2
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I did 12" screw pipe for fireside as an Apprentice way up in the air in International Bldg at Rockefeller Center. Used a compound wrench.  Two men.  I got to silver braze 8", 10" and I think even 12"  .
    I worked with top notch foreman who worked on Navy ship 🚢  cruise ships, Saudi Arabia...everywhere. they could do anything.  Mad Dog 🐕
    rick in Alaska
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    I was at that class and met u. It was about 7-8 yrs ago. Mad Dog
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    @Mad Dog_2 wow 12" you are my hero. I do remember meeting you there. It was there that we met the building managers for the apartment building in Harlem that caught fire because the tenant used a hose to steal gas from the neighbor Scary thought
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Oh my..crazy.  D.O..B and Con ed..don't play no mo'.  They'll lock you out in a NY minute after the gas disasters of the last 8-10 years.  Yes, I remember Marianne was manning the book sales with The Billies Sister Jennifer( Dan & TLMs lovely niece)  helping out. Mad 🐕 Dog
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,313
    Options
    Great memory @Mad Dog_2 and @RayWohlfarth. I remember helping out during one of the Riccardo's seminars too. Sadly Riccardo's closed in 2020: https://ny.eater.com/2020/9/2/21410273/riccardos-by-the-bridge-permanently-closes-covid-19

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Wow really? I remember when I did a seminar there and was surprised that they didnt accept credit cards. When arranging the class, the person said, "Just bring a check with you."
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Waher
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Check or cash and carry.   There is A Bohemian Beer Garden in Astoria that held a good amount of people for a class.  A Plumber I know ran a Study Course for NYC Civil Service exams.  People loved it mad Dog
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Thanks @Mad Dog_2 I will look into that
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Dan used to provide a keg of cold beer after some seminars. Didn't get no better than that! The camraderie and life long friendships that were forged......Mad Dog
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Places that you can find cheap or free meeting rooms : libraries, grocery stores, Bass Pro, some towns and cities have meeting rooms, universities

Then cater in food and drinks Panera Bread, etc

@JUGHNE and I meet at a training event that was upstairs of a grocery store. Iowa maybe?
    The group walked through the buffet downstairs for dinner. Room was free if you paid for the buffet🎂
     It also had a nice demo kitchen in the training space that you could cook for the your group
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    Wow great ideas Never thought about those places thanks @Mad Dog_2 @hot_rod
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    I did a seminar for OESP at a movie theater. Another option.
    Retired and loving it.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Hot Rod, that was IIRC, in Omaha.

We mentioned it on the wall and many responses were that "where are the selfie pictures",
    so I did post a picture. Maybe I can find it again.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Also just the two of us had the buffet lunch and we both thought it was just so-so. :#

Then you later said that the evening buffet for your training session was just the left overs from the lunch line.

You posted your next lunch pictures from somewhere in Iowa and noted it was excellent....pictures included of ribs etc.

So Ray, IMO, it would be good to investigate the lunch menu and quality of cuisine.

It might seem like a small matter but some remember the meal more than anything else.
    This may create a good word of mouth reference for future attendance.
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    @DanHolohan a movie theatre That would be cool
    @JUGHNE Thats true I have been to seminars where the bread was hard and it left a bad impression on me
    Thanks you Sirs
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Dan always had them put out nice old fashioned bakery pastries. Not just Dunkin Donuts..  Great lunches too. (Probably TGLM The great,, Lovely Marianne's idea!) The Best was King of Prussia Pennsyl-tucky, where we all attacked a Keg of Cold Beer 🍺 after the seminar. Dan was an out-of-the-box lecturer...my kinda guy..Great memories. Mad 🐕 Dog 
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Thanks, Mad Dog 
    Retired and loving it.
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options
    I wonder about the liabilities now with doing that with beer. Too many lawyers but I think it would be fun. I was teaching a class for the local brewers and a contractor there got pretty drunk and then drove his company truck home. I was glad it wasn't me that was responsible for the event
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    hot_rod
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options
    Let everyone buy their own, so YOU are not liable.  Mad Dog 🐕