Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Generator for Triangle Tube boiler

Options
wrxz24
wrxz24 Member Posts: 301
Does anyone have a generator that runs their triangle tube boiler? Looking to buy one after our recent power outage. Type and brand. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,990
    Options
    Type and brand?
    Best to have a generator properly sized to match the electrical load you want . I have a Kohler generator that works fine serving an entire house.
    You can use a portable generator as well.
    Brent H.
  • wrxz24
    Options
    Intplm. said:
    Type and brand? Best to have a generator properly sized to match the electrical load you want . I have a Kohler generator that works fine serving an entire house. You can use a portable generator as well.
    I heard that triangle tubes did not run on certain generators, I was hoping someone that has a triangle tube has a set up that they could share. 
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,990
    Options
    Never heard that one. I have had them on different generators.

I will be following this thread closely to see where it goes.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,403
    Options
    Any of the better modern small investor generators should be able to power the Triangle Tube. Get one which advertises low total harmonic distortion -- the better ones do. I like Honda, but Ryobi is perfectly good too.

Be sure to add up the loads you expect to plug into it, and make sure that the generator rating is adequate -- don't overload it.

Also be sure to figure out a safe way to connect it to whatever you are using it for.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • TonKa
    TonKa Member Posts: 104
    Options
    And it may seem obvious, but it warrants saying: the generator should sit OUTSIDE the house, not in the basement.

Keep the generator away from all windows and any air intakes & exhausts.

Also, Jamie means INVERTER generators, not "investor". Autocorrect strikes again!
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,548
    Options
    It is not only Triagle Tube that can have problems with "Dirty voltage" if Your Sine wave is clean that is half the battle..
    Viessmann does not allow for off grid systems.We would install a good UPS between the generator and the boiler and never had any issues. :)
    kcoppHomerJSmithGGross
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,986
    Options

It is not only Triagle Tube that can have problems with "Dirty voltage" if Your Sine wave is clean that is half the battle..
    Viessmann does not allow for off grid systems.We would install a good UPS between the generator and the boiler and never had any issues. :)

That is a good ides. A good UPS.

That reminds me of a girl in High School.. We used to call her Federal Express. When she came to a party, She Absolutely, Positively, had to stay there overnight.
    Rodney Dangerfield.

Not the Delivery UPS... It's a Universal Power Supply UPS

NEVERMIND!
    Emily Litella

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• wrxz24
    Options
    It is not only Triagle Tube that can have problems with "Dirty voltage" if Your Sine wave is clean that is half the battle.. Viessmann does not allow for off grid systems.We would install a good UPS between the generator and the boiler and never had any issues. :)

Any of the better modern small investor generators should be able to power the Triangle Tube. Get one which advertises low total harmonic distortion -- the better ones do. I like Honda, but Ryobi is perfectly good too. Be sure to add up the loads you expect to plug into it, and make sure that the generator rating is adequate -- don't overload it. Also be sure to figure out a safe way to connect it to whatever you are using it for.
    Ok so if I go with a UPS between the boiler and generator then any properly sized generator will do? 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,403
    Options
    wrxz24 said:

Any of the better modern small investor generators should be able to power the Triangle Tube. Get one which advertises low total harmonic distortion -- the better ones do. I like Honda, but Ryobi is perfectly good too.

Be sure to add up the loads you expect to plug into it, and make sure that the generator rating is adequate -- don't overload it.

Also be sure to figure out a safe way to connect it to whatever you are using it for.

Ok so if I go with a UPS between the boiler and generator then any properly sized generator will do? 

Um... sort of. The UPS should help with cleaning up the power -- but not entirely, and it would be happier fed cleaner power to begin with. It's not a big expense, so don't cheap out on it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Derheatmeister
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    wrxz24 said:

I suggest we identify the problem before you start throwing money at it.
    I think the rumored Triangle Tube - Generator problem you heard of is more likely to be caused by neutral and ground not being bonded in the generator. Most portable generators are not bonded. Grid power and permanently installed home stand by generators are bonded. Easy enough to bond a portable generator. But people forget this step.
    What else would you like to power in an outage? Do you have a well?
    Sizing the generator is critical. Too small, and voltage and Hertz will drop every time a load (sump pump, fridge, well) kick on. Too big, and you make many trips to the gas station. Starting amps are much higher than running amps for motors.
    Generators are loud. Some are really LOUD. This can get annoying after a while, to you and your neighbors.
    A UPS is probably not necessary.
    If you could give us some more details of your situation, we can make some suggestions. What kind of circulation pumps are on your heating system?

I DIY.
    Intplm.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,088
    Options
    Whats wrong with keeping my gas generator in the basement?  This way I stay warm when I have to refill with the gas cans I keep next to the gas water heater!!!!
    Ha ha ha.  JUST KIDDING EVERYONE but I have seen this firsthand... No Common sense.  Mad 🐕 Dog 
    WMno57
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,455
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I remember vaguely during training for the Munchkin boiler that there was a problem with a sine wave harmonics that interfered with the Munchkin's performance and the solution was a line conditioner.

When choosing a generator, choose one with the lowest THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) of the sine wave.
    If the manufacturer doesn't list it, choose another manufacturer that does. I chose a generator that advertised a THD of less than 5%. The power company's THD is about 2-2 1/2 %.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,548
    Options
    Not to try to change the subject but you can also do this...Cogen... https://www.axiom-energy.com/
  • mrhemi
    mrhemi Member Posts: 28
    Options
    My home has a Triangle Tube Instinct 155 Combi Mod-Con boiler. I also have an 8000w Generac portable standby generator. They have played well together many times. The generator is connected via a proper transfer switch.
    Licensed Steamfitter.
    Licensed Instrumentation & Control Technician.