Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I cannot get the pilot to light on a gas fireplace

Options
Cascade
Cascade Member Posts: 4
edited December 2022 in Gas Heating
This fireplace (Heat-N-Glo SL-3000) has always worked fine in my home of 14 years. Last summer I turned the pilot off for the first time because I noticed that the glass was warm or hot to the touch and I was running the A/C.

I tried to turn it on a few days ago and the pilot won't light. I checks and the gas valves are open and the spark ignitor is sparking when I push the red button.

To check the thermopile or thermocouple millivolts the pilot needs to be on.

One thing I'm not sure of is if the knob on the gas valve is letting me push it in enough.
I can barely feel it moving and I can turn the knob from off to pilot without pushing it in at all.

Any suggestions? One tip I read was to try and light the pilot with a match or long lighter, but the glass needs to come off, however I may give it a try.

Comments

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    The Robertshaw millivolt valve's control knob can usually push in just a little as you turn it from 'off' to 'pilot'. At pilot, the knob must be capable of pushing in about 1/4" and not rotate. In this position, it should allow gas to flow only to the pilot. You can attempt to manually light the pilot just to prove it. Once the pilot lights you must continue to hold the knob in for about 30-45 seconds to build up the coil in the EPU. If it drops out when you release after holding the knob in for 60 seconds, shut it down and call for professional help.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,963
    Options
    Be Careful. Those fireplaces are tight spots to get your hands in. Hopefully Timmie Mc Elwain sees this or send him an IM. He's know gas appliances like no one's business. Mad Dog
  • Cascade
    Cascade Member Posts: 4
    Options
    The pilot is lite now.   I did not replace any parts.   I did wait a few days for outdoor temps to rise into 30's & 40's.  We had temps of -7 & -10 F recently.   I know gas freezes well below that but I wonder if moisture or condensaion in the valve or pilot tube had froze.   Anyways its working.
    MaxMercy
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    I would have a professional take a look at it as the problem may arise again. Is this unit on propane? If so when you have a drop in temperature propane does not always light right away as the pressure in the tank relies on outdoor temperature for its pressure.