Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Manifolds?

Options
Brando
Brando Member Posts: 11
edited December 2022 in Radiant Heating
Hello People. I am looking for a 4-loop manifold for a radiant floor heating system. The contractors in my area (CT) seem to favor Upanor. Unfortunately for me, the Upanors are on back-order and I need one ASAP so that I can run a pressure test on my pex and install my hardwood floors. I suppose I can always change the manifold later, but I am curious to know which brands people favor.

Eventually, this will run off a combination on demand tankless boiler. I could purchase a cheapo manifold for the pressure test, then upgrade to a better manifold. It's going to be a while before I can complete the installation.

All the best,

Brando

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Best as in features, price, material? Do you plan on using actuators for zoning?

Caleffi TwistFlow are on shelves at suppliers across the US. If you want a manifold with all the features.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterManIronman
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,837
    Options
    I agree with @hot_rod, and I don't even work for them.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbesmattmia2
  • RxRoy
    RxRoy Member Posts: 22
    Options
    I like the Caleffi Twistflow.  You can use them inverted as well (bottom picture).  I've had no problems with mine in over 5 years of use.

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,649
    Options
    You can always temp connect it with PVC fittings and adapters to pressure test
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Caleffi, Rehau, Cross if multiple zones are needed.

Forget the tankless water heater and get a boiler. The tankless is not designed, controlled or approved for space heating.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    mattmia2
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    A bunch of couplings work for testing also,.

If you have plenty of loop length just connect one loop to the other until all are connected. Plug the one end, gauge on the other end. Not pretty but affordable.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    I like Caleffi twist flo manifolds, did I say I like Caleffi twist flo manifolds? Today I just installed a Caleffi 3 port twist flo manifold. It was an inverted manifold. What ever manifold you choose, having flo control on each loop to balance the flow in each circuit is a big +. it can even make up for a slightly oversized pump.