Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler pressure continually increasing?

Options
hwb221227
hwb221227 Member Posts: 14
edited December 2022 in Radiant Heating
Recently I purged all the zones (4 heating and one indirect tank) off of my boiler. After doing this I noticed that the boiler pressure was continually increasing and crossed 25 PSI. I closed the flow from street water (disabling auto-feed) and drained water to bring it back down to normal operating pressure of 15PSI. The boiler operated as expected but I noticed what sounded like air in the indirect zone when the it would call for heat. I checked the Taco auto air-vents in the system and sure enough, the open on top of the indirect tank was seized shut. I replaced all the vents and re-purged the system. I'm having the same issue when I leave the street pressure to the refill valve on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The indirect hot water tank has a Taco check valve on the supply and it's own circulator on the return.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Your sure it stops when you turn off the water to the refill line? In which case it's the refill valve -- either defective or stuck slightly open.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    hwb221227MaxMercy
  • hwb221227
    Options
    Yeah, it stops when I turn off the refill valve (upstream). What's strange is I had no issues with the auto-refill prior to purging. Could air in the system be causing any periodic issues that would cause the valve to temporarily fill?
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    No -- much more likely that the valve hung up on something when it opened to bring the system back up to pressure. You might be able to free it up by manually lifting it to fast fill and letting it snap close. Sometimes you get lucky and that works. Sometimes not.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    hwb221227EdTheHeaterManMaxMercy
  • hwb221227
    Options
    Jamie, that makes sense. I can isolate the auto-fill valve on both sides. Is it better to try to get it unstuck isolated or with water pressure (i.e. filling the system)?
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    hwb221227 said:

Jamie, that makes sense. I can isolate the auto-fill valve on both sides. Is it better to try to get it unstuck isolated or with water pressure (i.e. filling the system)?

with water pressure. That way when you open it if something is caught on the seat it might get flushed out. It sometimes works. Sometimes...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    hwb221227
  • hwb221227
    Options

hwb221227 said:

with water pressure. That way when you open it if something is caught on the seat it might get flushed out. It sometimes works. Sometimes...
    Just gave it a go, hopefully that does the trick. One last thing... if I do have to replace it, do I need to drain the whole system if it's isolated on both sides?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    hwb221227 said:

hwb221227 said:

Just gave it a go, hopefully that does the trick. One last thing... if I do have to replace it, do I need to drain the whole system if it's isolated on both sides?
    No. I like the caleffi valve that does auto fast fill.
    hwb221227
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @hwb221227

Unfortunately, it's common for the feeders to get plugged with rust and gunk if they sit for a long time without being used. If your system is leak free and it never adds water it sits and get gunked up. Sometimes you can clean or flush them and that may work or maybe not. You can get repair kits but in most cases it's more cost effective to just replace.

If your isolated on both sides then no reason to drain.
    hwb221227EdTheHeaterMan
  • hwb221227
    Options
    Didn't end up fixing it. Going to replace it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help!
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options
    If that doesn't work, you have a more expensive problem. That is why Jamie wanted to know if the increasing pressure issue stopped, when you manually shut off the feed line.

Best of luck with this repair. Let us know how you make out. Use this same thread for context.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• hwb221227
    Options

If that doesn't work, you have a more expensive problem. That is why Jamie wanted to know if the increasing pressure issue stopped, when you manually shut off the feed line.

Best of luck with this repair. Let us know how you make out. Use this same thread for context.

As in a leak in the indirect tank coil? I assume this would cause the house water pressure to leak into the coil and raise the pressure?
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • mattmia2
    Options
    hwb221227 said:

As in a leak in the indirect tank coil? I assume this would cause the house water pressure to leak into the coil and raise the pressure?
    Yes
    hwb221227
  • hwb221227
    Options
    Replaced the auto-feed today without any issue (thank you all!). Noticed the set point for the new Watts unit was 15PSI but my expansion tank is 12PSI. When I do out the calculation in the Watts manual, I get ~11.5PSI so that makes sense. I drained the system and took a measurement with a tire gage and noticed the expansion tank was at ~8PSI. The tank was manufactured in 2015 so It's not new so I pumped it back up to 12 PSI and refilled the system. Does this mean I should replace the tank? I assume I should adjust the auto-fill to match the expansion tank?
  • mattmia2
    Options
    Might check the expansion tank again in the spring or if you see pressure problems but the schrader can leak a little and air can diffuse through the bladder so it is probably fine.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    edited December 2022
    Options
    The membrane in those tanks can lose up to a pound of air pressure a year. It happens on the molecular level thru the membrane and dissolved into the water. like osmosis. Just pump the expansion tank air side up to 15 PSI (with no water pressure on the other side) and place it in commission again. You should be good to go!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• hwb221227
    Options
    I'll drain it down and pump it up to 15PSI. Before this my system was at 12PSI when cold, any issue keeping it at 15PSI instead?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,167
    Options
    hwb221227 said:
    I'll drain it down and pump it up to 15PSI. Before this my system was at 12PSI when cold, any issue keeping it at 15PSI instead?
    I don't have any problems with it.  I always set them up for 15 PSI. 
    hwb221227
  • hwb221227
    Options
    I drained the boiler and pumped the expansion tank up to 15PSI. I then purged the zones again and noticed some odd behavior. With the drain valve open and the pressure regulator on automatic (15PSI setting) as the pressure dropped it would hit a point and then drop rapidly. Sounded like air or something in the expansion tank. When I finished the pressure in the cold boiler was correct so I turned it back on. 15 minutes later I checked the pressure and it was 21PSI. I let some water out and that same thing happened where it dropped very quickly as if there was air releasing. Any ideas?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    The tank had water pressure pushed against the 12 psi or lower charge, so after the tank released that amount of water, the flow will slow. Think of it as a spring. Pull the spring out all the way and it retracts quickly, once’s it reaches its end the force dissipates.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hwb221227
    Options
    hot_rod said:

The tank had water pressure pushed against the 12 psi or lower charge, so after the tank released that amount of water, the flow will slow. Think of it as a spring. Pull the spring out all the way and it retracts quickly, once’s it reaches its end the force dissipates.

This happened once I had pumped the tank up to 15PSI. So the bladder is compressed and once it crosses the 15PSI level it expands back to it's normal size pretty quickly pushing the remaining water out?