Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How good is good enough or do I need to add more radiation?

Options
Jells
Jells Member Posts: 566
edited December 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
So the recent cold snap was a big a challenge to a heating system as we get in NJ. It dropped to 7F in my city according to one site. The system I installed in a small apartment using it's WH and 2 K120 kickspace heaters managed to keep it to 66F. Good enough or should I add another heater under the kitchen cabs? The return water is still 120-125, plenty of heat to strip out, at least 8k BTU with a k120.

Many people would say good enough for their own home, but this is a rental. Interior temps come from a logging thermometer right by the stat set to 70.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    A rental? You may have a building code requirement to be able to maintain a set temperature -- often 70 F -- and if the space can't, the landlord may not be legally entitled to collect any rent. Talk to your building inspector.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jells
    Options
    A rental? You may have a building code requirement to be able to maintain a set temperature -- often 70 F -- and if the space can't, the landlord may not be legally entitled to collect any rent. Talk to your building inspector.
    The state says this:

Under the state housing codes, from October 1 to May 1, the landlord must provide enough heat so that the temperature in the apartment is at least 68 degrees from 6 am to 11 pm. Between 11 pm and 6 am, the temperature in the apartment must be at least 65 degrees.

So I only break that under the most extreme conditions.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Was it a few years ago when parts of the eastern US dropped below design for a few weeks?
    If you want to cover design and possibly below you need to have both enough WH and emitters

Do the kicks have multiple speed switches? What flow rate are you pumping? You could run tank temperature up also. You have 3 options for increasing output, SWT, fan speed, and flow rate.

Don't add more heat emitters then you have WH power to run. A typical gas fired WH maybe 30,000 actual output.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jells
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    Was it a few years ago when parts of the eastern US dropped below design for a few weeks? If you want to cover design and possibly below you need to have both enough WH and emitters Do the kicks have multiple speed switches? What flow rate are you pumping? You could run tank temperature up also. You have 3 options for increasing output, SWT, fan speed, and flow rate. Don't add more heat emitters then you have WH power to run. A typical gas fired WH maybe 30,000 actual output.
    They do have multiple speed that would bring up the emission by 15%, but I think it's too much to ask a tenant to do that, and it brings up the noise quite a lot to what I would consider annoyance level, though lower than a window AC. The water heater is 40k, and the return temps being over 120 I clearly have enough BTUs left to work with.

About the noise, I've been curious to know what is the sound level of the ubiquitous PTACs found in a lot of new hi-rise apartments. Are they as loud as the ones I've experienced in motels?