Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Putting in a main vent with limited vertical space

Options
ybringler
ybringler Member Posts: 2
edited December 2022 in Strictly Steam
I have single pipe steam.
I have only one main vent on my system, on one side of the boiler (the longer side), right before the pipe drop into the hartford loop.
On the other side (with a shorter loop) - nothing, and I have hissing vents on the radiators as a result (pretty sure that side goes to the second floor, its all gorton 6s, new or cleaned).

It looks like there's a spot for a main vent, but the floor support cuts it off at maybe 2.5 inches.

Could I put in some angle pipes to put it off to the side a bit?
How far should I go?
Does it have to be on a slant? How much?
Will a main vent be able to be installed sideways?

The The Barnes & Jones “Big Mouth” can be installed horizontally, which might fit, but it says that that's only for Cross-over steam trap.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    You could easily offset that to one side or the other as you like -- quite a variety of fittings and bushings and nipples could be used. No problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ybringler
  • ybringler
    ybringler Member Posts: 2
    Options
    So - take off that cap, put in some small pipes etc to offset it as much as I need, and don't lose any sleep over it.
    Thank you!
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Like ybringler says. Take that pipe nipple out and get something like a Gorton #1 on it with a shorter or no nipple. Or play with some 45 offsets. It will do fine on a short main either way.
    ybringler