Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: Pivotal Advice

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 658
edited December 2022 in THE MAIN WALL

Pivotal Advice

In this episode, Dan Holohan shares the advice that changed his life.

Listen here.

Thank you to our podcast sponsor SupplyHouse.com.

Comments

• JP2347
    JP2347 Member Posts: 12
    Sad to hear it's the last one Dan =( I enjoyed listening to them and will continue to the last. It's hard to find good storytellers that can tell them in the same manner as you; especially as it relates to the trade.
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 522
    Ir must be something HUGE ..... Go ahead and help the many... you left the Heatinghelp.com in good hands years ago .. Welcome Back 👍
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,577
    Thanks. It was a good two years. I enjoyed telling them. May they live on. 
    Retired and loving it.
    Turbo Dave
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,957
    Spot on, @DanHolohan . I might be able to add a bit -- but nothing helpful. Except this: life is not a chess game, and you can't see how the moves will play out in the future. Take the best advice and your judgement from where you are now, where ever that may be, and go.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Jamie. Excellent addition.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    Thank you Dan. I'll share that with my kids.
  • DanHolohan
    I hope they listen. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
    Long Beach Ed
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,456
    Simplifying life is always a good thing. I hope this change buys you more time to have fun with the family and simply enjoy what good stuff the world hands you. o:)<3

Yours, Larry
  • Illinoisfarmer
    Illinoisfarmer Member Posts: 53
    "You'll be 36 anyway" is one of the most profound things I've heard in a long time. Thanks for that. Like the others, I'll be passing that along to my sons. And thanks for taking the time to record these for us. Sometimes (like today) I understand what you're talking about, other times I just liked hearing the technical stuff that I have no idea about or contact with. Your voice was a great distraction and companion during the busy season - believe it or not, Dead Man Tales is one of my favorite things to listen to during long days and nights in the combine or tractor. Thank you!
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Larry. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    @Illinoisfarmer, thanks for putting me in that tractor with you. I love that imagery. Erin and I set out to do this project for two years. That’s why it’s over next week. I wanted her to be able to listen to my voice when I am gone. 

Retired and loving it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,983
    Sorry to hear it will be the last one. One of my favorite parts on this site. But as long as this old world keeps spinning things will constantly change. Best of luck Dan on whatever you decide and that it is the right decision for you is the only thing that matters.
    MikeAmann
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 112
    I sat next to you in Nashua, NH some years ago and enjoyed that. Don't remember what the conversation was about, but someone once told me, if you want to hear what someone is saying, get close to them. So, I did.
    Thanks for all you have done for the trade and those in it.
    Dave
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,279
    edited December 2022
    Dan,

I love the advice especially “you’re going to be 36 anyway”. I worked my way though college as well and appreciate what it takes. 
    And the importance of taking a chance. I worked at a large company where people routinely kept good information and knowledge to themselves.  Unless it benefited them regardless of the pro or con to the company.  I left that company and started my my own 25 years ago following a similar path as you. 
    I learned from the first company that paper will drown you so we’ve been all digital from virtually day one. 
    I learned that information fuels innovation so we set up a portal so people could share good ideas and “how to” tips to the entire company and be recognized for their contributions. And there is no advantage to timing the release of your knowledge 

And I learned employee turnover costs money.  Lots of money. Employees should not have to threaten to quit to get a raise.  We use market surveys to make sure we are paying pay competitive rates and adjust pay if we see that someone is out of band for their position.  Without them having to ask. 
    We’ve been rewarded by a team that works hard to treat our customers well, strives to do the right things and who are kind whenever possible. Not always perfect but we try every day. 
    I’m going to miss your weekly talks and wish you  all the best. 
    PC
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks to all of you. I appreciate you.
    Retired and loving it.
    PRR
  • Dan_32
    Dan_32 Member Posts: 17
    Dan, I’m going to miss your weekly Dead Men Tales. I'm going to miss the technical education as well. I hope this change gives you more time to enjoy your family, friends and what good this world hands to you. I wish you all the best. I'll miss you and Merry Christmas.
  • DanHolohan
    @Dan_32 Thanks much!
    Retired and loving it.
  • BradHotNCold
    BradHotNCold Member Posts: 70
    Dan, like many on here I have read and learned a great deal from you.
    But I especially wanted to thank you for adding the text to your narratives as I am profoundly deaf — even with several thousands of dollars invested In hearing aids. Best wishes.
    CLambPRRjeant
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,347
    Thank you all for listening and reading! @DanHolohan and I've had a lot of fun working together and bringing you these episodes each week over the past two years. Stay tuned for one more story next week!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

PC7060jeant
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Your advice to do something made a big difference in my life back in 1996. I'll always remember how it hit me like a **** slap.
  • DanHolohan
    That was a good day, Paul. Thanks for listening. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • jeant
    jeant Member Posts: 26
    Dan, I started out with you in my favorite plumbing magazine. Having this website has been very gratifying, being able to or read your tales. I believe your tales are timeless and I hope they will all go into some kind of audio that those in the future can listen to and learn from the heart. I will miss you. Its folklore with a mission of sharing.
    mattmia2
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,727
    what if we petition the web boss for another season?
    there has to be some dollar amount , , ,
    known to beat dead horses
  • DanHolohan
    @jeant they will be here on heatinghelp.com, on the main site, and for as long as the site exists. Thanks  
    Retired and loving it.
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 209
    Dan,
    I hope you had as much fun writing these tales as I have had reading them over the years. I would read some of your tales to my friends who had no interest in the subject of hot water or steam heat but they certainly got a kick out of hearing your stories. Sadly, all good things must come to and end. It is the way of the world.
  • DanHolohan
    I was a fun run. Thanks so much for listening. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • jeant
    jeant Member Posts: 26
    is there a way to get all the dead men tales as and audio?
  • SomeTradesJack
    SomeTradesJack Member Posts: 17
    Dan, your lessons, knowledge, and impact are legendary. I'll be playing your tale at our family Christmas even soiree, as I've tasked everyone to bring/do/sing/recite something meaningful. This fits right in. Thanks.

Tim
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Tim. That means a lot. Merry Christmas!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,351
    When I have a minute will check this out. Mr Prolific is at it again!   Mad Dog