Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rand and Reardon gas boiler

Options
York101
York101 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2022 in Radiant Heating
HELP not sure what to do with wiring. I bought two taco sentry zone valves. But the wiring is confusing.  Do I need a control box just for the zone valves. What a pain, no service number to call. TIA
Any pictures please

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,864
    Options
    What did you have before the sentry valves?
  • York101
    York101 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Old style taco valve 571-2. But the old boiler had a 24v place to hookup valves.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Zone valve wiring can be confusing. Are you replacing all the zone valves with Zone Sentry OR are you mixing them up in order to get really confused?

I can help either way.

@York101 what model number Rand and Reardon boiler do you have?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @York101... Here is the old taco 571-2 valve diagram. Lets hope this is the way the old valves were wired

Lets look at only one valve at a time.
    This is a simplified view of what is going on inside the valve actuator

Now lets look inside the Zone Sentry valve

By connecting the W/Y terminal to one of the end switch terminals you get identical wiring to the 571-2 wiring. 1, 2, and 3

Lets look at how to connect it to YOUR existing wires

Look in the green Zone Sentry illustration to the left of the original 571-2 in the diagram
    See how the thermostat wire that went on #1 of the 571-2 will connect to the C of the Zone Sentry.
    See how the wire from #2 on the 571-2 goes the the W/Y and one of the end switch wires/
    See how the wire from #3 on the 571-2 goes on the remaining end switch wire
    All the same as the 571-2

If you do not have the original wiring in a photo or have disconnected all the wires and cant remember where to start, send me a Private Message by clicking on my name in this post.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Larry Weingartenkcopp
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    @York101
    How did everything turn out? Was the wiring help successful?

Edward Young Retired