Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unknown hydronic baseboard heating

SArango
SArango Member Posts: 3
edited December 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Can anyone tell me what this type of baseboard this is? Our house was built in the 50's or 60's and I believe all of the cover pieces are original. I have tried looking online but can't find anything that matches them. They are a heavy metal. I cannot find a logo or marking on them. We have owned this house for almost two years and are currently cleaning the baseboard vents thoroughly and looking to replace a few parts that are missing from the covers. It has been much more difficult than we expected to find any information on them. 

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,319
    Many companies made Baseboard Radiators like the in the 1950's thru the 1980s. a lot of them are out of business or have discontinued their Baseboard Radiator product. One of the major companies left is Slant Fin and they sold their radiator product to another company. The boiler company has recently closed down and are no longer making boilers.

The only three that I know of are Sterling, who ever purchased Slant Fin, and Haydon. None of those three look anything like what you have. Your best bet is to save the stuff you have by carefully removing the pieces when you remodel an area that has baseboard heating in it. Then replace it with something that is available and do the whole room with matching product. Save the old stuff for repairs and minor remodel jobs.

The BTU per foot will not be that far off from the replacement brand. Just try to match the approximate hight of the enclosure to get the same BTHh rating.

This was my preference.https://www.haydoncorp.com/Portals/0/documents/2019 Baseboard_Catalog 0119.pdf?ver=2019-02-20-115426-570

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

SArangoIn_New_England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,052
    New outer covers are available from many sources if that’s all your looking for. 
  • SArango
    I haven't been able to find anything that matches these so far. Only newer, flimsy versions.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    I just noticed that there is hardwood floor added to the floor after the Baseboard Radiators were installed. That 1/2" to 5/8" thickness has reduced the bottom inlet air of those radiators. That reduction of air flow may reduct the BTUh output of the radiators. Whenever you can, try not to reduce the bottom opening of any baseboard convector style radiation. The original engineer who took the time to make shop drawings of that radiator decided to make the bottom opening a minimum dimension to allow air flow to move the heat out of the radiator. When you reduct that opening, you just became the engineer that designer a heater that does not work as well. Just saying.

Random thoughts from an old fart.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

SArango
  • SArango
    Yes. I was frustrated with that bottom space being reduced. It was done before we purchased the house. 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,983
    I think the floor is raised enough to seriously reduce the output. I usually use Sterling. They make several models at least they used to make Petite, Kompak and Senior. You can pick one that would come up higher on the wall to cover the paint line. You can buy just the enclosures from Sterling, but it cost about as much as buying the baseboard.

If they built the hardwood floor over the bott lip of the baseboard you may have to saw along the wall to floor joint and cut the enclosure free
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,890
    I can never understand with all the work and money that goes into a remolding a home . Why do they always mop and glow the old baseboard ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Big Ed_4 said:

I can never understand with all the work and money that goes into a remolding a home . Why do they always mop and glow the old baseboard ...

Carpenters don't like HVAC or Plumbers. I know that first hand... My brother-in-law is a carpenter and he built a peak roof over a flat roof on my fathers home. Did not touch the chimney. just built the new roof right over the old one chimney and all. Then he didn't understand why the insulators were getting sick up in the new attic. Go figure.

Could just be the whole In-Law thing too. Or is that just mothers-in-law

Edward Young Retired

SArango