Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless boiler 82% direct exhaust power vent

Options
partlyleft
partlyleft Member Posts: 13
Just moved into this house. Horizontal exhaust to basement window. The boiler has a blower fan inside to power vent but there is a gap (no silicone between fan adapter and increaser). Fan adapter is like 2-3/4 while increaser inlet is full 3". Then it goes up to 5".

From what I can tell in the install manual this looks like the setup for a chimney venting. The manual says to use 3" exhaust pipe for horizontal direct exhaust. Tried to seal joints with 324a tape. Horrible chemical smell when it's running hot.

Do I need the special pipe with clamps to use this direct vent setup?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    Options
    Each manufacturer has detailed instructions on how to properly vent their appliance. Many of us on HH are familiar with many different manufacturers and models. What you are asking is related to a specific model and a picture would be very helpful in getting you an answer. So to answer your question
    Do I need the special pipe with clamps to use this direct vent setup?
    the answer is YES if the manufacturers instructions say you do. OR... it could be NO if the manufacturers instructions do not specify a special pipe with clamps.

I guess what I'm saying is your query needs more specific information if you want a more specific answer.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,864
    Options

Just moved into this house. Horizontal exhaust to basement window.

That's scary!

Pictures please.
    EdTheHeaterManbucksnort
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    @partlyleft

Best bet is to go on the Peerless web site and find the install manual for your boiler using your model and serial #. Sometimes they have a separate manual just for venting. Then follow the instructions to vent correctly.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • partlyleft
    partlyleft Member Posts: 13
    Options
    @partlyleft Best bet is to go on the Peerless web site and find the install manual for your boiler using your model and serial #. Sometimes they have a separate manual just for venting. Then follow the instructions to vent correctly.
    Yes I have read the manual.

Chimney venting shows increaser up to 5" pipe, but only 3" pipe for horizontal direct exhaust (no increaser just fan adapter).

They mention names like Fab- Tech and Z Flex pipe, I know nothing about this type of pipe although I've fitted various gas and water lines in my life. I'm in a rural area and need to get this fixed quick! 

Is there some secret equivalent in the trades? 
  • TonKa
    TonKa Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Pictures and the model number would greatly increase the probability of getting good answers here.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,867
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Knowing the model number and brand name of your equipment will help. But from what I can tell from what little you have said so far, your appliance can be considered either a category I or a category III.

Category I vent means that there is a negative pressure inside the vent pipe. In this type of vent system, there is no need to seal the vent pipe joints because if there is a tiny leak in the vent system the natural draft of the chimney (or manufacturer vent, like B-Vent) will suck room air into the vent pipe. As long as there is no blockage in the vent the exhaust gas will never enter the living Space. Category I Aappliances have blocked vent safety switches that shut off the gas flame if the vent is blocked

When you select the side wall vent design according to the instructions, you are using a Category III vent design. That is where the pressure inside the vent pipe is greater than the air pressure outside the vent pipe. Basically you are using the fan combustion fan to provide both the air flow thru the appliance heat exchanger, AND the pressure to force the exhaust gas out the vent pipe. In a category III vent, ALL joints and connections from the exhaust port of the appliance >>> all the way to the outside termination MUST be sealed with an airtight mechanical joint. Some sort of mechanical airtight seal must be provided on every connection. This is because any small air leak in the exhaust pipe will allow exhaust gas to enter the living space. Since those exhaust gasses may contain Carbon Monoxide, you can not allow any of those gasses to leak into your home.

Here is a Category III venting system that I used for this purpose. https://www.z-flex.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=555 This product has a gasket that will withstand the high exhaust gas temperature with a mechanical clamp at each female end. SupplyHouse.com has these parts available online

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?