Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating season photo dump Round 2

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,263
Outgoing President Dan Holohan passes the torch to Brother Jim Holohan.
Showing the customer where their plumber was supposed to connect the supply line to their hydronic loop instead of sucking sludge off the bottom.

Maybe the pump failed prematurely because it's 12 feet in the air and has never been oiled. Let's put a sealed PL unit up there instead, folks.

What were you waiting for to fix/replace these pumps that are leaking all over the boiler room?

Snow melting thermal image at commissioning.

Snow melting here.

These steps warmed up better than I had anticipated.

Finally replacing this 1st generation Weil-McLain Ultra with the MCBA controller that every HE boiler seemed to use in those days.

Nice fresh 30° air blowing directly onto an uninsulated steam header.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes
ChrisJPC7060CLambErin Holohan Haskellmattmia2

Comments

• Illinoisfarmer
    Illinoisfarmer Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for continuing to post these - I love looking at them. On the leaking pumps, had one already been replaced (since they don't match) or do they serve different purposes or something? Now that I look again, the piping is sorta different too.

If I ever make it to New York, I think I'd pay to just ride along for a day and see all the basements and mechanical rooms you get to visit - like boiler room day camp :)
    PC7060bburdCLamb
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,279
    If I ever make it to New York, I think I'd pay to just ride along for a day and see all the basements and mechanical rooms you get to visit - like boiler room day camp :)
    Yes, like the big city version of the Stuart NE boiler rooms tour @JUGHNE kindly provided for me earlier this year. 
  • JohnNY
    Thanks for continuing to post these - I love looking at them. On the leaking pumps, had one already been replaced (since they don't match) or do they serve different purposes or something? Now that I look again, the piping is sorta different too. If I ever make it to New York, I think I'd pay to just ride along for a day and see all the basements and mechanical rooms you get to visit - like boiler room day camp :)
    Ha! I’ve had several people ask to take that ride with me over the years.
    Those pumps are parallel for redundancy. The whole thing needs to be cleaned up.  
    Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you enjoy the posts. They don’t seem to be getting much attention but I like posting them anyway.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    CLambIllinoisfarmer
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,983
    I like them as well
    ethicalpaul
  • PC7060
    @JohnNY - great posts, keep them up! It’s so cool to see the foot prints of deadmen in the old buildings. 
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    So, who is Jim Holohan?
    Rick
    mattmia2
  • PC7060
    What size boiler did you use for the snowmelt project? The patio and stairs looks great. 
  • JohnNY

So, who is Jim Holohan?
    Rick

Dan's brother.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    rick in Alaska
  • JohnNY
    PC7060 said:

What size boiler did you use for the snowmelt project? The patio and stairs looks great. 

This is part of a larger system that uses two 200 MBH wall hung Viessman boilers.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    PC7060
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,228
    edited December 2022
    Great seeing a brother's work! Always nice stuff from Mr. Cataneo's firm!
    JohnNY