Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Effects of High Water Level???

Options
AdmiralYoda
AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 629
edited December 2022 in Strictly Steam
My neighbor has a steam system that is correctly piped and vented but for some reason the way the VXT is installed the water level stays too high. Usually to within a 0.5-1" of the top of the sight glass. Since they know I'm always tinkering with my system they asked if it is worth having it fixed so that the water level stays around the middle of the site glass.

I didn't really have an answer. The water only bounces around a half inch or so max in the glass. The water is clean. No surging or foaming as far as I can tell. No water hammer. I imagine this creates wet steam but they don't seem to be suffering from it.

What are the short term and long term effects of having the water level too high? The only thing I can think of in their situation is that they are using more fuel to heat more water than is necessary.

Comments

  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Easy. Disconnect the VXT. Take charge of your (his) water level.

    To actually help with your question, I have run mine at a lot of different heights and to get any water into the header I had to raise the level I think past the top of the glass. That was a top-supply Peerless as you probably know with clean water.

    I like to start mine at the beginning of the season at the line, then when it's firing more due to colder weather, when I need to top off I put it a couple inches higher, then let it slowly move down through the season.

    Then at the end of the season if I remember, I fill it to near the top (if I remember) and let it sit there all summer.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • AdmiralYoda
    AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 629
    Options
    @ethicalpaul True, yes that would "fix it"... But would having a high water level harm anything if they aren't experiencing issues?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I added more text after posting. This isn't instant messenger lol
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    The VXT doesn't control the water level it the LWCO does that. So without the VXT the boiler will shut down long before it's actually low on water, which could be a nuisance for them.

    I'd be curious why the manufacturer wants the LWCO set so high, or is it an installation error?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

    The VXT doesn't control the water level it the LWCO does that. So without the VXT the boiler will shut down long before it's actually low on water, which could be a nuisance for them.

    I'd be curious why the manufacturer wants the LWCO set so high, or is it an installation error?

    Doesn't the VXT have a timer you set to keep adding water after the LWCO is satisficed, so the boiler runs at it's normal level and not low?

    I'm 90% sure that's the case, it was one of their big selling points.

    Also, the Burnham's I've seen run the gauge glass about 3/4 full not half.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • AdmiralYoda
    AdmiralYoda Member Posts: 629
    Options
    @KC_Jones I think it's an installation error or something.  Its been a while since I've taken a look.  I think the VXT was added after the fact.  Actually now that I think of it, I'm not sure it is a VXT either.  It does have an automatic water adder and the water level is usually 0.5" from the top of the site glass.  I'll have to take a peek next time I'm over there.

    For what its worth the current Peerless 63/64 series manual says the correct water level is 2/3rds up the site glass.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

    KC_Jones said:

    The VXT doesn't control the water level it the LWCO does that. So without the VXT the boiler will shut down long before it's actually low on water, which could be a nuisance for them.

    I'd be curious why the manufacturer wants the LWCO set so high, or is it an installation error?

    Doesn't the VXT have a timer you set to keep adding water after the LWCO is satisficed, so the boiler runs at it's normal level and not low?

    I'm 90% sure that's the case, it was one of their big selling points.

    Also, the Burnham's I've seen run the gauge glass about 3/4 full not half.
    From their manual:

    "The VXT feeder is shipped in the LWCO feed setting. When operating in this setting, the VXT will feed
    only until the low water cut-off re-energizes the burner circuit (or a maximum of 5 gallons). This will restore boiler operation, but on some applications may only be enough water to satisfy the minimum requirements. If additional water is needed to reach the boiler’s normal operating level, the 1-Gallon to 5-Gallon settings should be selected using the instructions below."

    So it will feed until it hits 5 gallons on the counter, or the LWCO is happy.

    They do have a delay before feeding, so from factory it will wait 2 minutes. So once it hits LWCO, timer starts for 2 minutes, at the end of that time, if it's still low, it will feed water. The delay is adjustable in 2 minute increments up to 10 minutes.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ChrisJLong Beach Ed
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    > For what its worth the current Peerless 63/64 series manual says the correct water level is 2/3rds up the site glass.

    And they stamp it onto the jacket
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    Running the water level high will do no damage as long as the boiler tolerates it....some will...some wont. As long as the water line is steady and no wet steam it is probably fine
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Normally the water level is 1/3 up . You want to have a large chest to capture the dry steam . The extra water takes more energy to break steam . Too high of water could prevent the condensate from returning back into the boiler from the system. The A demention , thinking 20" from the end of the main to the water line ?

    There was an error rendering this rich post.

  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:

    Normally the water level is 1/3 up . You want to have a large chest to capture the dry steam . The extra water takes more energy to break steam . Too high of water could prevent the condensate from returning back into the boiler from the system. The A demention , thinking 20" from the end of the main to the water line ?

    I've never seen a steamer that had a normal water line 1/3 the way up the glass?

    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Might be , Steamers were designed with a 1/3" level . Unless stated ny the manufacturer . Posted earler Peerless wants it higher.

    There was an error rendering this rich post.