Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can we turn this radiator off?

Options
Our house was built in the 50's and we have metal fin convector radiators throughout. We'd like to turn the radiator off in a room we don't use frequently, but can't find anywhere which valve to turn, or if this is possible. Any help?

Comments

• kellyb3dc
    kellyb3dc Member Posts: 6
    Options

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    Looks like there is a valve on the bottom right. Are these each separately connected to mains and not connected in series?
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • kellyb3dc
    Options
    Honestly I'm not sure if they're separately connected to mains or in series. There are 3 pipes running horizontally between the fins, but I don't know where the vertical pipes connect. I'm surprised you're pointing me to the bottom right, I thought it may have been on the top right, on the tall piece.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    Options
    Look at the fitting on the bottom of the radiator between the pipe in the floor and the radiator indicated by the green arrow. See if there is a slot in the center of the valve that can be turned with a screwdriver like the picture at the bottom left.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • kellyb3dc
    Options
    Yes, there is! It looks like it's in the open position. If we turn it counterclockwise to the closed position, that should turn off the heat coming to the system?
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    edited December 2022
    Options
    More likely clockwise; either way, it’s a quarter turn valve. When the slot is parallel with the pipe it is open, when the slot is across the pipe it is closed.

Bburd
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Use a good sharp screwdriver that fits the slot tightly and push in hard and don't keep turning if you feel it slipping out or you'll strip it. Loosening the packing a bit while you turn it then tightening it again could help too.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • kellyb3dc
    Options
    Thank you all!!
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    Or cover the fins with aluminum foil 
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,853
    Options
    Better to just restrict the air flow and allow the water to keep the pipe’s hot!
  • kellyb3dc
    Options
    How would I restrict the air flow to still keep the pipes hot? And would covering the fins with foil keep the radiator cover from getting hot as well?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,853
    Options
    Aluminum foil
    insulation

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    edited December 2022
    Options
    85 to 90% of the heat that comes out of that radiator is convection heat. That is heat that is moved by something fluid like air or water. if you stop the flow of air from circulating thru that radiator by covering the air way with foil, then you will only get the radiant heat from that radiator, not the convection heat. That will cut the heating output of that convector down to as little as 10%. Hopefully, just enough to keep other pipes from freezing. Definitely enough to keep the radiator from freezing.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Convection radiator , heats with convection of hot air rising .. The cover on creates a chimney . Covering the element blocks the air flow .. Blocks the chimney .. It will not heat the room ... Lint , dog air , playing card also block the flow ..

Best to let the convector warm up so the risers don't freeze up , And you don't have to mess with the valve .Hope this helps

There was an error rendering this rich post.

EdTheHeaterMan