Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about using Traps as a "crossover" in a Two Pipe System

Options
2»

Comments

• reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 521
    Options
    I know this is a heating forum, but in case some of you are interested in construction, you might appreciate this: We have photos dating back to the late 1800s. It is indeed a balloon framed house, built entirely from Old Growth White Oak. When I say "entirely", I mean as in, every single piece of structural lumber. The grain patterns are unlike anything I've ever seen. Joinery is mortise & tenon, Roman numerals on everything, hand-forged nails throughout, some as long as 6". Molding/casing profile is also White Oak throughout and doesn't match any of the 2000+ profiles I've researched. A few other noteworthy items:
    • Main beams are 12"x12"x40' long. Think about that for a moment.
    • Floor joists are 3"x12". Many are rift & quartersawn
    • Outer walls are 3"x6"x20+' high
    • Interior walls vary but are typically 3"x4"
    • Firestops were nonexistent on any walls. We added them throughout.
    • Exterior insulation was non nonexistent. We added a fire-retardant type throughout.
    • Electrical was knob & tube throughout and was required to be replaced.
    • Flooring is 6/4 Longleaf Yellow Pine, Old Growth, between 8-20" wide throughout.
    • There are *9* fireplaces between basement and all 3 floors, all inspected and in working order.
    • Previous boiler was oil-fired, and prior to that, possibly coal-fired
    • The 15 radiators are all American Radiator floral pattern and they all work.
    • The house was struck by lightning *TWICE* and has scorch marks to prove it.
    We're doing our part here to preserve a rather unique home, but I can't say I'm particularly disturbed or bothered by having to replace some dead Hoffman radiator valves.
         Sir..There wasn't balloon framing 252 years ago... Those valves are from 1919 or later along with everything else I see... . It's Knuckle Headed now anyway... enjoy your new home 
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question