Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant floor design

Options
Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
Hey guys! I have an interesting possible job. We have an existing warehouse space that the Maintenance Yard workers have taken the last bay in a long warehouse to use as their workout room. They would like to have some heat for the colder days of Winter. Beiung a proponet of radiant floors I thought we could build one on top of the concrete foor. I know there are products that have insulation built in and a groove to snap the tubing into. But I've been out of the radiant floor biz for a while now and am not familiar with the products out there. Could some of you make recommendations and point me in the right direction? I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Wayco Wayne_2
    Options
    I found a product in Canada that had what I was imagining. Trade name Amvic. I suppose I could put down Extruded polystyrene and staple the tubing to it and do an overpour. I've done that in the past. I was hoping to find something a little less busy.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,141
    Options
    Do you want a high mass system for a space like that? Look at some of the wood, dry systems also. They would respond to load changes much quicker. Maybe 2” of insulation between the slab an a new floor.

Probably need some ventilation and air changes in workout spaces?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ethicalpaul
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    Two comments: We found some styrofoam panels 3'X3' 2.5 " thick, with molded holders for 1/2" pex, We found two lots of the stuff on Craigslist and used it, was kind of nice, just push the pex into the holders with your foot. We did not have enough for the whole house so used it at the edges of the slabs for the bends.
    Since we found the stuff by chance have no source or product name.
    The second point, since in an exercise room weightlifters might drop weights onto the floor, you might need a slab that will handle it. I suggest fiber in the cement, for every pour, have never had a problem with floor finishes caused by fiber, and it is cheap.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. I hadnt thought about dropping weights. Maybe a plywood top would be better. As far as fresh air, its a warehouse with steel garage doors all across the front. Ventilation is built in. :) My budget Masters will probably nix the idea, since we could very easily install a Ductless cassette. But, with apologies to Cindi Lauper, Boys, Just want to have fun too. :)