Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HTP EFT Boiler Whistle

Options
Hi all, looking for some help solving a whistling mystery with an HTP EFT-199 gas boiler. 

Was originally installed in 2013 as source for hydronic heating system, all worked wonderfully until 2021when the blower fan failed and was replaced, for the last 11months no problems. 

Had another F13 fault and was directed by HTP tech support to replace the blower fan again, seemed to fix the problem with the boiler not firing, but now have a horrific whistle when the boiler is firing at 40-60% (approx 2000-3000rpm fan speed), but no whistle
above or below this range. 

Have checked gaskets on blower door, cleaned heat exchanger as well
as intake and exhaust piping, no improvement. HTP has recommended replacing the blower door refractory, but at $500 Canadian for the part I’m looking for other ideas before taking the flyer that may or may not work. 

Intake and exhaust are 3-4 feet long and the whistle is louder outside than inside, Noise is irritating the neighbours - any ideas?

Whistling seems to be loudest (screwdriver to the ear) at the fan and Venturi, but marginally so. 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Is CSST used in the gas line?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Ironman
    Options
    Also: was the burner set up with a combustion analyzer after the blower was replaced?
    Bob Boan
    mattmia2
  • Entrinsic
    Entrinsic Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. 

Gas line is hard pipe to the gas valve and then a short section of CSST from valve to the Venturi. 

I do not believe a combustion analysis was done after the blower was replaced (either time). 

• Ironman
    Options
    I’d recommend having a COMPETENT tech do the analysis and see if that fixes it. Most of the time, proper adjustments will remedy this type of problem.
    Bob Boan
    mattmia2
  • Entrinsic
    Entrinsic Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will see what I can find my my area (Calgary, Alberta). If there are any suggestions, happy to take a recommendation. 
  • Ironman
    Options
    Try try the contractor locator on this site.
    Bob Boan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Entrinsic said:

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will see what I can find my my area (Calgary, Alberta). If there are any suggestions, happy to take a recommendation. 

The area rep or the wholesalers generally know the best contractors in an area.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream