Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this a shut off valve? Please see attached picture.

Options
klau1i5
klau1i5 Member Posts: 2
Hi, I'm trying to purge some air out of my hot water heating system and the zone I am trying to bleed has this type of valve and not a ball valve like on the other zone. I have never seen any valve like this before. I just want to make sure it really is a shutoff valve before I do anything with it. Do I just use a screwdriver, and use the slots to turn it off and on? Since I don't think the valve has ever been used before to shut the zone off to purge air from the zone. Can I drain the entire furnace to purge the zone of air?

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Yes its a purge valve , The lower valve is a butterfly valve , quarter turn on and off . Slot perpendicular is off .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

STEVEusaPA
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Additionally, in the bull of the tee (the part that's heading to the right) is a valve (again slot perpendicular is off) with a garden hose fitting under a cap.
    STEVEusaPA
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    its a "purge and balance valve" Close the lower valve with a screwdriver put the slot horizontal. Make note of where this valve is set if not fully open (slot vertical) so you can return it to the slot when done. Keep your circulators off while purging

Then take the cap off the upper valve and put a garden hose on it. Open that valve to purge and close to stop purging.

Maintain 12 psi in the boiler when purging by using the fast fill on the water line PRV.

When done purging shut the upper valve and return the lower valve to where it is now set. Remove the hose and install the cap
  • klau1i5
    klau1i5 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! very much appreciated.