Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stinking Steam Air vents

Options
Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,947
Hey guys. Any suggestions for a fragrance that I could add to a steam boiler after I flush it a few times to mitigate the smell of urine emanating from the air vents? Any Deadmen tricks? Thanks, Mad Dog

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    Eh? You're supposed to use fresh water in the boiler... ! The smell is probably ammonia or urea, though how either one could be present after a thorough flush and fresh water fill is a bit hard to say. You can mask it. You can't get rid of it, if it's in the water which it pretty well has to be. First thing I'd do is flush again and refill with water and perhaps a little TSP, bring it to a boil and cool and drain and refill again with fresh water -- but it might be prudent to check the water (bring a kettle to a boil in the kitchen and check for odour -- it you find it there you have far more serious problems involving the water supply).

The best masker I can think of offhand would be peppermint...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,947
    Options
    Yeah Jamie. That's what I was thinking a little mex bath and then a few drops of oil of peppermint. Thanks, Matt