Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quiet ignition control

ratherbfishing
ratherbfishing Member Posts: 32
edited November 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Following up on an older discussion
https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/comment/958677#Comment_958677

Does anyone know/used quiet relays? Our boiler is near a bedroom and the clicking noise is alot.

Thanks

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Solid state relays are silent.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    R.I.B Relay In a Box are quiet.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    What boiler do you have? What relay is clicking? if it is one of these, then there are some quieter relays.
    In come cases, the R I B relay can be adapted to do the same job.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Or maybe look into a short cycling condition. Why is the relay activating so often.

Completely silent relays are used in electric baseboard heaters sometimes.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 586
    Just checking that you're talking about a single "click" of a relay to control a circ pump or such ?

Reason for asking, is we had many Wirsbo MVAs go bad at the end switches starting at about the 10 year mark. The end switch would go intermittent, which caused the relay to click-click-click-click-click , sometimes about as fast as you could knock on a door. Annoying sound, not good for the relay or the circ pump. I took to changing the end switches, but after a half dozen repairs I just gave up and switched to newer designed thermal actuators instead of the MVA (motorized) ones.
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • ratherbfishing
    edited November 2022
    This is the said relay. after the thermostat calls for heat, it will click 3 times. It ends up clicking a bit because the boiler turns off/on at 1.5/0.5 psi, so that cycle is noisy.
    (it's a BS2AAN000150)

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Hmm.... that number is for Bryant atmospheric steam boiler, and the pictured part looks more like part of the ignition controls than it does like a relay. And you say that it clicks when the boiler cycles on pressure which also suggests that.

I think we need a diagram of just what that part is, and how it is part of the boiler control circuitry.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    That picture is of the transformer, the relay or other control that is clicking has to be nearby or possibly inside a junction box.
  • ratherbfishing
    edited November 2022
    EDIT: I should point out that I am not looking to replace anything on my own but rather weigh in with a professional to do the job.

I attached the wrong picture accidentally. this is the correct one. as far as i can tell, this guy is making the clicking

• Jamie Hall
    Again, that is NOt a relay. In fact, it is exactly what it says it is -- the ignition control; in this case it is an intermittent ignition control. It's going to click whenever it fires. You need it to do that, to keep the whole system running.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ratherbfishing
    right and I assume there's no quiet version of these?
  • Jamie Hall
    Not that I know of.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    How much quieter do you need? If its loud and making noise, its dying. All it does is light a pilot
  • ratherbfishing
    it's loud enough i can hear it a floor up. is it supposed to be relatively quiet?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    If the clicking noise, (3 clicks every time it starts), is the spark that lights the pilot, perhaps the spark gap is too large. But that noise is more of a tic tic tic until the pilot light is proven by the control. That noise should not be that loud. The same noise that a butane lighter might make when you pull the trigger and make the spark that lights the gas flame. My new gas range makes that same tic tic tic noise until the burner ignites.

The only other suggestion I have is to have the ignition system replaced with a hot surface ignition type. there is no spark noise with that system.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Motorapido
    Motorapido Member Posts: 307
    Well, I can hear the ignition control module in my Peerless click into spark mode from upstairs -- clean through 100-year-old wood flooring. It doesn't bother me, but I certainly can hear it with my 60-year-old ears that already show hearing loss (according to a recent hearing test). I suppose you could rig up some sort of foam, lined sound insulating box around that ignition module, and in doing so, you would probably trap heat that the design engineer didn't anticipate, and you'd probably be violating horrific international codes and get sent to Guantanemo Bay. Dunno. But I concur that these ignition modules make an easily-heard sound even when functioning correctly.
  • ratherbfishing
    the spark noise is fairly quiet, more of a "zzzz-zzz". so i guess the clicking is here to stay. thanks for input
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited November 2022
    You could change the entire ignition system to something with a Hot Surface Ignition like this
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Resideo-SV9501M2528-Smart-Gas-Valve-Standard-Opening
    You would need to replace the pilot assembly with this one.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Resideo-Q3450C1185-Pilot-Burner-for-Natural-Gas-with-a-BCR-18-Orifice-Left-Single-Tip-Style-C-Mounting
    But there is one 4 pin plug that I can not find on the web. You will find this system quieter if you wanted to take on this as a DIY project. I don't know of any professional that will take on something like this.

Looking at something I used to tell customers about the "New or Different" noise the new equipment will make. To prepare them so I didn't get a "too much noise" service call. Picture the husband and wife at the kitchen table with the sales rep for the new heating equipment

"That new, different, more powerful noise this furnace or boiler makes (usually is the sound of energy saving referring to the combustion fan on a more efficient oil or gas appliance) is the sound of energy savings. Every time you hear it, it is a reminder of your lower fuel bill. And eventually you will get used to it like the sound your refrigerator just made. You didn't even realize the refrigerator compressor just came on (or just went off depending on the situation). That is because you are used to it. I heard it because it is different from my refrigerator. So don't worry about the more efficient click of that electronic ignition. It means you are saving money."

That's one of the lines I memorized from the days of replacing Silent Heat and Quiet May oil burners with new Flame Retention burners. It was an important part of the pitch to reduce the "Noisy Oil Burner" service calls. Sitting at the Kitchen table or at least near the refrigerator was an important part of the sales presentation

MikeAmann