Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

circulation pump flow direction

Options
beloitmtshop
beloitmtshop Member Posts: 7
edited November 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
how can i change direction of flow without turning the circulation pump upside down. I have replaced a B&G 37s but the arrow on the volute is in the wrong direction.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options

how can i change direction of flow without turning the circulation pump upside down

Why?
  • beloitmtshop
    Options
    Arrow on the volute is opposite of the old one, pipes bang when zone valves shut off
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 855
    Options
    If I understand your question, you have no choice. The veloute must be turned 180 degrees. I find that most people leave the old veloute and swap everything else (gasket, bearing assembly, coupler and motor).
  • pecmsg
    Options

Arrow on the volute is opposite of the old one, pipes bang when zone valves shut off

If it in backwards then the Flow Check should stop all flow.

Can we get some pictures of what you have?
  • ScottSecor
    Options
    I'm guessing there are no flow checks if there are zone valves. Is it possible that the new pump flow direction is correct and the high head is causing issues with the zone valves trying to open and close? Keep in mind that a PD37 tops out around thirty feet of head, most zone valves would struggle to function correctly with that much head pressure. Maybe consider a pressure bypass valve?

I agree, photos or at least a sketch would help.
  • beloitmtshop
    Options
    would removing the gasket, bearing assembly, coupling and motor then rotating the volute 180 degrees and reattaching the gasket, bearing assembly coupling and motor change the flow then.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    @beloitmtshop

no. you have to turn the volute to make the arrow go the right way and the turn the motor so it is mounted correctly
  • beloitmtshop
    Options
    there are no flow checks, very old boiler. So simply turning the volute 180 degrees would not reverse the flow?
  • pecmsg
    Options
    How did this volute get reversed in the 1st place?
  • ScottSecor
    Options
    In simple terms, if the arrow on the veloute points towards the floor now and you remove the eight flange bolts and flip the veloute upside down, so the arrow points towards the sky, yes the flow will go in opposite direction. Don't forget to rotate the motor and bearing assembly as well.
  • beloitmtshop
    Options
    it came from the factory with the arrow pointing the wrong way
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    Options
    I know the idea of reversing the motor's direction of rotation was not proposed - but even that wouldn't help. A centrifugal pump sends water in the same direction whether the motor runs, say, clockwise or CCW - although less efficiently.
  • ScottSecor
    Options
    Your supposed to flip the components to match the direction of flow. Bell & Gossett has no way of knowing if your pump is pumping upwards, downwards or sideways.
  • beloitmtshop
    Options
    but the motor has oil cups, turning the motor upside down will allow oil to leak out.
  • pecmsg
    Options

it came from the factory with the arrow pointing the wrong way

I highly doubt that.

So you changed the entire pump?
  • pecmsg
    Options

but the motor has oil cups, turning the motor upside down will allow oil to leak out.

Why didn't you just get a Taco circulator.
    SuperTech
  • beloitmtshop
    edited November 2022
    Options
    yes, changed the volute and pump all at once, the arrow on the new volute pointing down instead of up on the new unit.
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Please post a picture of the B+G circulator and the installation; circulators with oil cups for lubrication of the electric motor bearings can only be mounted vertically.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,141
    Options
    As @ScottSecor mentioned, a repair guy would typically just switch the motor/ bearing assembly, leave the old volute in place. No need to mess with flange gaskets. And the arrow stays correct :)

Keep in mind those circs get installed in horizontal lines also, so you need to confirm the installation mounting requirement.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream