Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: Dead Men Tips

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited November 2022 in THE MAIN WALL

Dead Men Tips

You can learn a lot from those who came before you. In this episode, Dan Holohan shares helpful (and somewhat peculiar) tips from the Dead Men.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to our podcast sponsor SupplyHouse.com.

Comments

• Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    I heard about Litharge and Glycerine. Maybe that came later?
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    edited November 2022
    Nitrocellulose was about 1860.
  • JP2347
    JP2347 Member Posts: 12
    Really enjoyed the podcast episode Dan. I tune in every week
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Thanks for listening!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks for listening. It means a lot!
    Retired and loving it.
  • DaveB1972
    DaveB1972 Member Posts: 7
    It would fascinating to see some of the old procedures demonstrated. Its amazing they git anything done with the old tools and methods, often faster than we do with “modern” tooling and parts. I am truly amazed when replacing steam boilers when i see the original piping, neat, organized, properly pitched, etc, then the copper BS that was done by a replacement company many years before me, and finally my iron and steel piping married to the old work (after removing the garbage copper). Its truly a thing of beauty. I just wish I had the patience and skills to get the piping to be as exact as they did. Mine is good, but not great (we can always see our own shortcomings, which haunt us). Many thanks to you Dan, and your books. They have taught me to be a great steam guy when most of the companies locally fail miserably in steam install. I have shared your books with anyone i find who is willing to learn.
    I do wish I found out about you when you were still on the in person class circuit. Is there videos of those seminars?
    Gordo
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, @DaveB1972. There are a number of seminars on the main site. Search "seminars" at heatinghelp.com.
    Retired and loving it.
  • geno907
    geno907 Member Posts: 12
    Wonderful. Thank you Dan.
  • mattman
    mattman Member Posts: 18
    This kind of reminds me of the story from your book "Working" where the neighborhood know-it-all told the guy to put oatmeal in the boiler to stop the leak.
  • DanHolohan
    Yes!
    Retired and loving it.
  • SteamCrazy
    SteamCrazy Member Posts: 100
    Great story Dan like the voice over.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    Was time less valuable in those good old days?
    DaveB1972 said:

It would fascinating to see some of the old procedures demonstrated. Its amazing they git anything done with the old tools and methods, often faster than we do with “modern” tooling and parts. I am truly amazed when replacing steam boilers when i see the original piping, neat, organized, properly pitched, etc, then the copper BS that was done by a replacement company many years before me, and finally my iron and steel piping married to the old work (after removing the garbage copper). Its truly a thing of beauty. I just wish I had the patience and skills to get the piping to be as exact as they did. Mine is good, but not great (we can always see our own shortcomings, which haunt us). Many thanks to you Dan, and your books. They have taught me to be a great steam guy when most of the companies locally fail miserably in steam install. I have shared your books with anyone i find who is willing to learn.

I do wish I found out about you when you were still on the in person class circuit. Is there videos of those seminars?

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Well Done
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Kiwi
    Kiwi Member Posts: 6
    I may be supposed to be doing something thats calling me, but I almost always, just gotta listen to these stories. They are so informative, as well as entertaining.
    Big thanks Dan
  • Kiwi
    Kiwi Member Posts: 6
    ..... and yes, like DaveB1972 said, it would be great to see some of these old timers practices, on video. The skills if these fellas was/were truly admirable !
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, guys! I'm glad you're enjoying the tales.
    Retired and loving it.