Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

baseboard heating.

I recently moved into a single story circa 1950s 1500sq.ft home in New Jersey just over the river from Philly. We have done some remodeling including swapping the old oil burner for a natural gas unit. The 1.25in baseboard ring heats the house well except the kitchen which is almost at the end of the ring. Rather than cutting into the ring and adding 2 new ports I wonder if I can cut into the 1/2in feed to/from an existing baseboard and twin a new heater (with a fan) which I will set under one of the kitchen units?

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    edited November 2022
    Before doing that, I would try setting the thermostat for a longer heating cycle. It may be that the circulator pump is shutting off before hot water gets all the way to the end of that loop.

Depending on the thermostat, this may be controlled within the setup menu, or  an electromechanical device called a heat anticipator. We can better advise you if you show photos of your thermostat, both with and without the cover.

Bburd
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    I recently moved into a single story circa 1950s 1500sq.ft home in New Jersey just over the river from Philly. We have done some remodeling including swapping the old oil burner for a natural gas unit. The 1.25in baseboard ring heats the house well except the kitchen which is almost at the end of the ring. Rather than cutting into the ring and adding 2 new ports I wonder if I can cut into the 1/2in feed to/from an existing baseboard and twin a new heater (with a fan) which I will set under one of the kitchen units?
    Maybe get someone in to take measurements and find the issues and a solution!
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    The first thing I would try would be to mostly close the dampers on the baseboard near the beginning of the loop to see if I could get it to heat more evenly.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Is there any element in the kitchen now?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    edited November 2022
    How long is your baseboard run? Maybe you are just running out of heat energy at the end of the run. "You can't get blood from a turnip." I don't know what that means, but my Dad said it all the time. Why would anyone want to get blood from a turnip? huh

Two ways to deal with it without bifurcating the run into 2 runs, that is: increase the flow and or increase the water temperature.
    rconkling
  • warminster
    warminster Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks for all your comments. Think I’ll just get my contractor to install it