Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A New Look At Vacuum Heating

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited October 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
imageA New Look At Vacuum Heating

Igor converts a steam heating system to a vacuum system in this unique retrofit.

Read the full story here

Mad Dog_2

Comments

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,203
    Options
    Wonder what kid of pump he's using? A dental pump?
    Mad Dog_2
  • fentonc
    fentonc Member Posts: 237
    Options
    Could you run like that but without the vacuum pump and replacing the water with an engineered fluid like 3M Novec 649? It normally has a boiling point of only 120F, so you could actually use it with an air to water heat pump even without drawing a vacuum.
    ttekushan_3Mad Dog_2
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    Options
    I think this needs repeating, everyday: "I knew too much about steam heating. My mind was made up, and that's always a dangerous thing."
    Mad Dog_2
  • Andrews_Tech
    Andrews_Tech Member Posts: 1
    Options

Great article! Thank you!

• FStephenMasek
    FStephenMasek Member Posts: 88
    Options

Excellent article! How many buildings now have this system, and how has it performed since 2015?

Author of Illustrated Practical Asbestos: For Consultants, Contractors, Property Managers & Regulators
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,247
    Options

Vacuum can improve performance even more dramatically in larger systems.

Decades ago some Toronto buildings used an eductor to generate vacuum. There may have been problems with other aspects but circulation was excellent.

Mad Dog_2
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,924
    Options
    I did an interesting heating consultation  about 7 yrs ago on a High Rise Apartment overlooking MANHATTAN.  I was shocked to find that this building was constructed only 3 yrs before, so about 2012ish...VACUUM STEAM system.  There were no major problems and we tweaked it back to Top Form...Mad Dog 🐕