Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Union adapter?

azog Member Posts: 3
I'm not entirely sure how to describe this, so forgive me if I get too verbose or say something inaccurate.

50 years ago, the steam radiator in the foyer was removed and the floor covered in tile. The pipe was just capped, and dropped below floor space. Now that I've had the floors redone, I want to get a replacement radiator. It was easy to lift the pipe back up and pull the cap and get a floor valve.

Neighbor is converting away from steam heat, so was disposing like half-a-dozen cast iron radiators, so I grabbed one that is the perfect size. The radiator already had the union nut, so the floor valve I got had the matching union face. Except I didn't realize they're different sizes. The floor valve with the union face is 1 1/4". The radiator with the union nut is 1".

What should I do to adapt the fittings? I can pull the spud from the radiator, as it has an adapter (large to small) nut, and hope I can find one with a union nut. Or is there an adapter for the floor valve to reduce the union face?

I got the floor valve from the orange store. Before I go to the local plumber supply, I want to know what I need to ask.

Here is a picture to hopefully make more clear...


  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,423
    Your valve should have came with the spud. That needs to be used, removing the existing spud. 
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,837
    Get the angle valve from the neighbor.