Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old b and g circulator pump bearing side frozen

Options
kingjames
kingjames Member Posts: 4
Circulator pump frozen on propeller side what causes this

Comments

• kingjames
    Options
    I Have another zone not used with same pump can I swap the bearing shafts or is there any trouble shooting I can do to try and free it have oiled pumps 
  • kingjames
    Options

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    A frozen bearing is almost always due to a lubrication problem. That's the good news. The bad news is that once a bearing of this type has frozen, both the bearing and the associated shaft are damaged and no attempt should be made to use them again.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Intplm.SuperTechMikeAmannEdTheHeaterMan
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Put a 007e on there and be done with it. Look at the rusted, leaking flange.
    steve
    mattmia2SuperTechMikeAmannEdTheHeaterMan
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,946
    Options
    Could also be a jammed impeller from rust and scale build-up?

If you want to swap from one to the other? I would swap the entire bearing assembly or the entire circulator. Can't see how much work one or the other will be from here. Your call.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,129
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Or the water from the leak flooded the bearing and wick cavity. Sometimes they can  be salvaged if the seal is still holding. 
    Better start shopping for the replacement assembly

if it is a zone valve system, an ECM will save energy and smooth out pumping-operation.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kingjames
    Options
    I was hoping that it was a rust and scale build up and once I took it out it would clear propeller just don’t have the money right now to hire someone and all the nuts are rusty or I would replace it with other one so I figured I might be able to swap shaft and bearing 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    Put some penetrating oil on the protruding threads and use some sockets or wrenches, if they fit properly they will either unscrew the bolts or shear them off so you can replace them.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,159
    Options
    I've replaced quite a few 3 piece circulators with modern wet rotor circulators. The rusty hardware can be overcome with a Sawzall or preferably an angle grinder. Then it's pretty straightforward to change it out. Usually the cause of failure is lack of proper maintenance.
    MikeAmannEdTheHeaterMan
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited October 2022
    Options
    That pic is a sign of neglect. You can pull off the cover that the oil port is connected to and look at the wicking and the impeller shaft. Might pull the wicking out and put some Mystery Oil from the autoparts store on it and try and work it in. But... be aware that there is a shaft seal with a ceramic bearing to keep the water out of that compartment. What shape is that in???
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,833
    Options
    kingjames said:

I was hoping that it was a rust and scale build up and once I took it out it would clear propeller just don’t have the money right now to hire someone and all the nuts are rusty or I would replace it with other one so I figured I might be able to swap shaft and bearing 

Without the money, you will need to just go without heat in that zone. Perhaps you can drain the water from those pipes so they don't freeze and cause a pipe to split.

I have heard it said, "If you can't afford to do it right, how do you expect pay to do it again?" You should do the necessary maintenance on the rest of the system before you have another failure.

As far as swapping the bearing assembly from another pump. After you drain the water from the pipes, and purchasing a gasket, you can swap a working bearing assembly for the seised bearing assembly.
    Don't try it without the gasket. They never stay in one piece like the flange gaskets do (sometimes)

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    Note that most of what i learned to do i learned because i grew up not being able to pay someone to do it.
    SuperTechHomerJSmith