Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No Readouts on the Pressure Gauges

Options
mboksz
mboksz Member Posts: 10
Just fired up the new steam boiler (16 Series Utica Boiler - UH1605HSID)

Everything seem to be working and system heats up fast with no issues, except I get no readouts on the pressure gauges at all.
Heat is there but it shows zero pressure.

Beside originally supplied gauge scaled up to 30 PSI I have also installed another gauge that goes up to 5 PSI.

Original installation instructions call for no pigtail at all - I wonder if I did one too many pigtails.

Presuretroll is located on in a separate pigtail (installed by the manufacturer)

Comments

• Nate0846
    Nate0846 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    If I’m not mistaken steam boilers are low pressure and should be measured in ounces not PSI. I would recommend you get a gauge that reads ounces.
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    edited October 2022
    Options
    It’s possible that your boiler is so well matched to the radiation load that the system does not build pressure.

Does the pressuretrol ever turn off the burner while there is still a call for heat from the thermostat?

Bburd
  • mboksz
    Options
    yes - the system was turned off while the the thermostat was still calling for heat. I assume that was the pressuretrol action (I can't think about anything else that would cause it to stop and reseume on its own)
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,008
    Options
    First, your system has a CycleGard Low Water Cutout (LWCO). It has a periodic intermittent level test function. Depending on the model/settings it automatically interrupts the flame every so often. That could be why the system turned off while the thermostat was still calling for heat.

Read the manual for your model...if you don't have a manual you can download one. If you are unable to do that, post the fact and someone can get it for you.

Second, I trust the open end of the fitting in the second photo has been plugged or otherwise closed.
    mboksz
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Probably working jut fine -- though i would expect to see a bit of a twitch on the 0 to 5 psi gauge. Steam needs very little pressure to operate.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mboksz
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options

Probably working jut fine -- though i would expect to see a bit of a twitch on the 0 to 5 psi gauge. Steam needs very little pressure to operate.

When I had a 0-3 PSI gauge on mine it never moved at all.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    yes, plug that tee by the pressure control
  • mboksz
    Options
    in light of the above - I still wonder why do they supply 0-30 PSI gauge with the system
    Don't they know that the steam operates in a very low range ?
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    edited October 2022
    Options
    The 30 psi gauge is a code requirement based on safety considerations. A pressure gauge must be able to read twice the system’s maximum working pressure, which for low pressure steam is 15 psi—the safety relief valve setting. If the relief valve should fail to open, a 15 psi gauge may move more than 360° and give a false low reading when the pressure is over the safe limit.

I have more often wondered why Honeywell / Resideo doesn’t make a pressuretrol that can’t be set over 2 psi cutout, which is the maximum needed in most steam heating systems. This would have saved an immense amount of money and grief over the years.

Bburd
    mboksz
  • 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,385
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Hello, @mboksz,

1 water column [inch] = 0.578 oz/in^2

My old boiler rarely goes over 0.75 water column [inch] = 0.4335 oz/in^2 as measured with a Dwyer 1-0-1 inch water column Magnehelic gauge. So look closely at your 0-5 PSI gauge if your boiler closely matches your radiation.

Assuming your gauge is accurate at the low end.

Even if your boiler closely matches your radiation (if you have not yet) you probably should reduce your Pressuretrol setting.

yes, plug that tee by the pressure control

Shouldn't the sight glass be there ?

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    Yes that's where the gauge glass goes.

I assume those pictures are from before the install was finished.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,008
    Options
    @ChrisJ Duh, all I had to do was look at the top picture to see its for the gageglass. You're too observant or I am to narrowly focussed (or unfocussed as the case may be). Some day I may relearn to pay attention.

Have a great day.
  • mboksz
    Options
    Thank you all for your help.
    Yes - that picture of the pressuretroll is a little bit older taken when the system was still in pieces.

It looks like the pressure is there and is really low.
    I know the the gauges are working as I have just had the following test:
    I have some king valves at the steam takeoff , whenever I close those valves the gauges are moving pretty fast and the pressure is building.
    It is amazing how little pressure is needed to operate the steam system.