Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Coming back from deep setback

Options
Don_175
Don_175 Member Posts: 126
We have an oil fired steam system at our weekend house. Normally, I keep the temp at 55 when we are not there. When we had our old boiler, the service guy said to bring the temp up gradually from a deep setback. So I would raise it 4 degrees remotely (wifi thermostat) then wait a while and do that repeatedly to decrease wear and tear on the old boiler (per the service tech).
We now have a new boiler. I have not been there when it's coming off a deep setback, but it does not cycle on pressure when it's running normally on a cold day. Is there any reason why I can't bump the temp remotely up from 55 to 68 all at once vs repeatedly going up in 4-5 degree increments? Thanks

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I really can not see a problem running the boiler up to house setting .. It takes time warming up the walls and ceiling which would make the home comfortable ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,323
    Options
    Should be no problem. The old one may have been getting the pressures out of line.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Don_175
    Options

Should be no problem. The old one may have been getting the pressures out of line.

I think the thought was that the old boiler (Burnham) might crack. I've watched this one on a cold day, and it doesn't get above 0.6-0.8 psi on low pressure gauge when everything is warm. But I've never watched it come back from a deep setback when cold.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,323
    Options
    Don_175 said:

I think the thought was that the old boiler (Burnham) might crack. I've watched this one on a cold day, and it doesn't get above 0.6-0.8 psi on low pressure gauge when everything is warm. But I've never watched it come back from a deep setback when cold.
    It shouldn't get much above that pressure, if everything is working as it should and it is perfectly sized. It probably isn't -- most aren't -- so in coming back from a deep setback eventually the pressure will rise. What you want to make sure of is that the pressure control is really seeing the system pressure (that pigtail connecting it to the boiler can get clogged) and that it is set to shut down the boiler at a reasonable pressure. Depending on the pressure control, that might be as high as 1.5 to 1.7 psi, but with a vapourostat you'd be good at 1 psi or so.

Pressure at residential levels won't crack a boiler. Corrosion might, eventually, rust through. Cold shock from adding cold water to a hot water might very well. But normal operation? No.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Don_175
    Options

It shouldn't get much above that pressure, if everything is working as it should and it is perfectly sized. It probably isn't -- most aren't -- so in coming back from a deep setback eventually the pressure will rise. What you want to make sure of is that the pressure control is really seeing the system pressure (that pigtail connecting it to the boiler can get clogged) and that it is set to shut down the boiler at a reasonable pressure. Depending on the pressure control, that might be as high as 1.5 to 1.7 psi, but with a vapourostat you'd be good at 1 psi or so.

Pressure at residential levels won't crack a boiler. Corrosion might, eventually, rust through. Cold shock from adding cold water to a hot water might very well. But normal operation? No.

Thank you

• SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,007
    Options
    No one inquired about your low water level cutoff. I you have a Hydrolevel (loved by some, hated by some) with the Cyclegard intermittent level test function, it would interrupt the system periodically, which would tend to keep system pressure lower than if you didn't have it. I don't know for sure if these are used with oil fired boilers.