Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leak from air handler?

Options
Hi everyone, I was in my crawlspace and noticed a wet large area on the floor, took out the insulation in the ceiling and noticed water is coming from the sub floor. I opened the vent to my air handler and noticed the bottom of it is wet. Is it possible that the water is leaking from in the air handler? Could it be the condensation pipe? Any thoughts on what I should look into? 

This happened to my upstairs unit once, but the water wasn't this significant and didn't happen again. 

Comments

• tommygags
    tommygags Member Posts: 81
    Options
    I was able to take off the panel and did see water is building up in the channel there
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Air handlers will always produce water when running in air conditioning mode. Therefore, they are always built so that the water can flow a drain on the unit, and the drain routed to go somewhere harmless.

Therefore... find out why that isn't happening. Blocked drain? Off level enough so the collecting channel can't flow to the drain?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • tommygags
    tommygags Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Thanks Jamie. Would you recommend I cut the PVC pipe as that is easily repairable to see if it's clogged?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    I'd look at where it connects to the pan and see if it is above the level of the pipe connection or if it looks like it is flowing out then I'd pour some water in the pan and see if it drains out quickly. When I took mine apart to clean the pipe I put a piece of clear tubing over the cut and secured it with hose clamps so I could take it apart in the future. You could also pour some water down the open pipe in the secondary connection to get it in the pan to see if it drains.