Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco pro press zone valve leaks

wesPA
wesPA Member Posts: 38
We recently installed several hydronic air handlers with split AC in a commercial application. These were replacing existing systems of the same type. During the installation, it was decided to replace the existing 1/2" hot water zone valve at each unit. We used the Taco zone sentry 2 wire NC valve with propress connections. I have used the zone sentry valves quite often, but this was the first time using the press valve. The units have been in operation now for a little over a year, and so far (3) of the valves have leaked. They have leaked through the casting on the valve side of the factory press connection. We used the Ridgid RP 200 with the Viega jaws for this job. We had no issues with any of the other piping or Viega fittings, only the valves. Should a different style press tool be used for these valves? The valves have functioned fine operation wise, it's just the leak issue. Am I better off replacing all the valves with NPT or sweat style? I am curious if anyone else has had similar issues. Thanks!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Taco monitors this site regularly. If there's a problem with one of their products they will want to help. Most likely they will have you return the product so they can examine it, and probably offer a replacement.
    Through the casting sound ominous.
    I have yet to use a component, especially a pricier one with press fittings. I always go brass male NPT X press adapter.
    This way if I ever had a leak, I can cut it out and replace with another adapter & a coupling. Paranoid on my part, but I haven't ever had a press leak yet (severely knocking on all wood).
    steve
    mattmia2pecmsg
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 855
    edited September 2022
    We've installed about 125 Taco pro press sentry zone valves since they were introduced. We've been using our Milwaukee compact 18v press tool with Milwaukee jaws for about eight years.  We have not had one leak on these valves.

I happen to have four of these Taco zone valves in my house.   These valves are about six years old.   I have not touched them since I installed them.  No leaks, no problems. 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    Taco monitors this site regularly. If there's a problem with one of their products they will want to help. Most likely they will have you return the product so they can examine it, and probably offer a replacement. Through the casting sound ominous. I have yet to use a component, especially a pricier one with press fittings. I always go brass male NPT X press adapter. This way if I ever had a leak, I can cut it out and replace with another adapter & a coupling. Paranoid on my part, but I haven't ever had a press leak yet (severely knocking on all wood).
    How about press and double unions?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2SuperTech
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,630
    I actually really like the phoenix connectors on zone sentry valves.
  • Labenaqui
    Labenaqui Member Posts: 72
    We likewise use threaded Zone Sentries exclusively. Over 150,000 hours on our prebuilt appliances with no issues.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 705
    Hi WesPA
    sorry to hear you experienced some issues with the pro press connection.
    contact Taco Tech support direct at 401-942-8000, and ask for Steve Santangini.
    He will provide direction for mitigation.
    I will reach out myself too 
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    PC7060
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    hot_rod said:

How about press and double unions?

I do like them for PRV's and boiler feeds.

steve
  • Is this a domestic water or an open system? I see taco suggests using a different version of this valve on those systems. Many Hydro air systems I've worked on are shared systems, run off of a high temperature hot water heater, with a mixing valve for the hot water supply for the home. And the majority of problems that people run into are due to installing regular heating system components that don't work well on open systems.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    Open or combined systems would need a low lead brass body NFS 61 listed
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • wesPA
    Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions, and thanks to Joe for reaching out. I will plan on reaching out to Steve from Taco on Monday. The system is a closed loop low pressure hydronic system, part of a larger system with other fan coils, convectors, etc. I am in the process of gaining a water sample, in case anything is out of range there, although there has been no issues with that previously. I will post back on our findings. Thanks
  • wesPA
    I was able to speak with John and Steve from Taco on this, and they were very helpful. Still not a definite answer at this point, but from what it looks like, the leaks were caused by the jaw itself of the press tool. Taco did verify that there wasn't a specific list of approved press tools or jaws, but fitting should be fine with any standard press equipment. As mentioned earlier, the Ridgid RP200 was used with the compact Viega jaws. I don't know if perhaps a piece of metal shaving could have been on the inside of the jaw when the valves were pressed? Anyway, we are going to get the tool and jaws inspected just to be sure, although we haven't had any issues with any other fittings. I did notice the press fittings on the valves seemed much thinner than the Viega copper press fittings. I think we may also switch out the remaining valves with NPT style just to be safe. Thanks again to everyone for their help and input, I will update if I hear anything further.
    SteveSan