Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water heater nipple removal

rich p_4
rich p_4 Member Posts: 25
Hello,
Does anyone have a tool or a good and easy way to remove corroded nipples from the top of water heaters.
I have tried many ways but it always is a difficult and nerve racking job, with uncertain outcome.
thanks
Rich

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,379
    There are various types of inside pipe wrench. That probably wouldn't work with plastic lined nipples.
  • rich p_4
    I have tried that once
    I have also used a 3/8" socket extension tool
    also wooden dowels.
    I still have not had a proven simple effective way.....
    Thanks
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,379
    Also works with a drill bit and brake bleeder screws.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,112
    They make reverse drill bits for that purpose. 
    Removing when new and never seize saves trouble later!
    MikeAmann
  • BenDplumber
    BenDplumber Member Posts: 50
    How old is the domestic water heater? Is it in a tight spot / mechanical closet or wide open mechanical room where someone can hold "backup" on the tank? Unfortunately I haven't had good luck removing plastic lined/ dielectric nipples from tanks of older age without collapsing. The simple tool that Mr. Weingarten made is a great example of how prevent the collapsing of the nipple for removal and as pecmsg said on the next new one a little antiseize helps a lot, especially don't forget the anode rod checking and changing the anode rod can extend the life of the tank significantly.
    Larry Weingartenrich p_4
  • rich p_4
    Thank you all for the positive and creative ways of giving it a go.
    I have used a large handle ratchet strap around the tank to give me something to grab and hold onto.
    Never sieze is a great idea. I have never pulled the nipples out on a new tank. Of course this might just be the answer for the future (or even just some teflon tape)
    Thanks Again,
    Rich
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,098
    Teflon with never seize on it
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,822
    if if it is plastic lined I would drive one of these square easy outs into the nipple
    Then use a cordless impact wrench so you don’t have to hold the tank tightly, not an easy task😟
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream