Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Blowdown for residential boiler procedure?

Options
Scott216
Scott216 Member Posts: 13
I'm redoing my near boiler piping. I'm going to have ball valves on the risers and wet return so I can isolate the boiler from the system to do blowdowns. I have a residential boiler - Peerless 63-04. What's the procedure for doing a blowdown on a boiler like this? I know I'll need to close those valves and turn the boiler on. But I've heard the pressure should be higher. If so, what PSI should I go to? Do I need to override the pressuretrol or just crank it to the highest setting? I have a hot water garden hose rated at 180F, (McMaster 6285T29) that I can connect to the boiler drain and then go into my basement sump pump.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,068
    Options
    Is your sump pump plastic or cast iron?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,358
    Options
    no need to go over 2psi, but if you have a vapourtrol you'll have to isolate it (should have a valve... some even do!)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Scott216
    Scott216 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

Is your sump pump plastic or cast iron?

Cast Iron
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,901
    Options
    You need to isolate the pressure control or jumper the terminals so when the contacts open, the circuit to the burner is not interrupted. Changing the adjustment is never a good idea. Sometimes you never get it back to where it was before you changed it.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?