Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lp to natural gas conversion

marcuss Member Posts: 1
Hello everyone, my name is marcus Iam  in need of some information on converting from lp to ng my current set up is a crown boiler awr105enst2psu series, which is a ng boiler but was converted to Lp i purchased my home almost 4 years ago and recently they have ran the ng lines to the house i have a meter on the property now. My question is what is needed part wise to convert my boiler from lp to ng. I will not be doing the work because iam not licensed. Just looking for insight on parts I called crown and there automated system says reach out to professional contractors.


  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    edited August 2022
    Parts are available from Crown boiler, They changed their name to Velocity Boiler, but the parts are still available. You purchase them thur a local supply house that sells velocity boilers. Johnstone Supply has the parts in their catalogue.

    Option 2. See if the old Natural gas parts are still inside the boiler somewhere. The Natural to LP parts came in a small cloth bag, and I used to put the NG orifices and pressure regulator spring in that bag and attach it to the gas pipe.

    Option 3. Some old timers may be able to drill the existing orifices and cut the regulator spring to be able to adjust to the lower pressure. I was shown by a Philadelphia Gas Works technician over 40 years ago and I own the numbered drill index for precision sizing, and my service truck(s) had a number of gas valve pressure springs in the small drawer on the drivers side just below the thermocouple drawer. But at times there was no matching spring so cutting off about 1/3 of the LP spring would get close enough to adjust the pressure with a manometer.

    This is not a DIY thing. But if your Pro is an old timer and has the proper tools, any of the above is acceptable. If not then stick with the Factory Parts.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Often that bag of parts is hanging near the boiler/furnace.
    I call it a rolling tobacco bag with drawstrings.

    Ed, you and I are probably some the few here who know what that was.
    Still have the thoughts of rolling up one.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Rolling tobacco? Yeah... I used to be able to do it, too, and did. I vape now...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England