Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1915 fintube type convector sizing

Options
H2Otech
H2Otech Member Posts: 1
I'm trying to figure out how many BTU'S this convector might be. Anyone have any ideas? It's 4' long X 7" wide X 4" thick roughly. It was covered in sheet metal because it was recessed under bench seating to help convect the air through it in the ballroom. Thank you

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,338
    Options
    I think I'm seeing multiple small diameter tubes connected by rather shallow fins? You can get an approximation -- but only that -- by adding up the surface area of the tubes and the effective area of the fins (count both sides, but subtract for the area taken out by the tubing). A bit tedious, but will get you in the general vicinity.

Now for BTU rating, if this was hot water, you need to determine the water temperature and from that the effective BTU per square foot.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    @H2Otech

Measure the convector and find something close in size to yours. Pipe size, fin height, width, length etc.

Look at Vulcan radiation, Sterling etc. Tunstall Associates Chicopee, MA would be a good source.

Find something close in size and it will be close enough
    hot_rod
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Trane invented the convector in 1923. Where are you getting the 1915 date from?
    Retired and loving it.
    mattmia2
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I posted pics of the ones at 30th street train station in Philadelphia, built between 1929-1933. Loaded with so much crud I’d bet they could save 50% in their energy use if they cleaned them.

There was an error rendering this rich post.