Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensation gunk

Zerowkul98
Zerowkul98 Member Posts: 1
My htp propane boiler had an error 11, which i am familiar with (a mouse found his way i to the induction fan last year…wasnt pretty. Got a stainless screen for both Air in and flue out. I opened the condensate collector (that allows the condensation to go to the pump) and it was full of black mud, then the water gushed out of the chamber and all is well.

any ideas what caused the buildup? Only thing i can imagine is there was a ton of work outside near the intake (lots of fill delivered and moved, loam delivered and moved, crushed rick etc).

thanks in advance for thoughts!

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    It is not unusual when air for combustion comes from outside and the air near that intake gets contaminated with dust, grass (when getting cut) to anything else that becomes airborne. It will clog things up. Some manufacturers may have a screen that can be placed over the intake, then of course you have to maintain the screen.
    Zerowkul98
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    Agree with @Tim McElwain on the cause of the muck... I just feel bad about Rick! You said he was crushed? Is he recovering? Let him know that I wish him a quack recovery!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    HomerJSmithGGross
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Those boilers should really be opened and cleaned yearly. Really important if the inhale dust, tree pollen, lawn clippings, anything but clean air.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GGross