Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Robert Bean WSJ video

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    74-78 can be fine if the humidity is low enough but go into any office building you will find the stat at 70 ....or lower if it will go lower.

Too many VAV systems with low ceilings and cold air dumping out on top of a person. It was common practice to set the vav systems for 55-degree discharge in the summer and 60 in the winter to avoid problems....It helped

More than 2 women(sorry) in any space and 1 will be unhappy
    Rich_49
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Robert Bean's Integrated HVAC was one of the best classes I have taken. It was on heatspring.com, I don't think they offer it anymore. He is a master of the simple explanation.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    I love Robert’s intensity. He truly loves what he does, and he’s done sooo much. Thanks for sharing, HR!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Tim_D
    Tim_D Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Standard 55 was developed based on the work of Dr. Ole Fanger in the 70's. As Ed mentioned above, someone will always be unhappy. We considered this when developing the standard and the ASHRAE comfort tool. The idea is to achieve an acceptable PPD (Percent of People Displeased) typically less than ten percent but in some cases up to twenty percent, based on a PMV (Predicted Mean Vote). The PMV is derived from all of the data from Dr. Fanger's work. Considerations for the use of the space, age, gender, activity level, and clothing are all part of the standard. It's an interesting read