Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2" metal pipe into chimney in attic

Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
Ive seen this before, but never really knew what it was for. 

1930s house, this went to above the floor behind the toilet. 1960s remodel and the pipe was just stuffed with a rag and plastered over. 

Went up and into the chimney. 

Was it a plumbing vent? Of some type of gas heater vent? In direct contact with wood, which makes me think it wasn't for any type of combustion vent. 
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    Neat. I'll go with plumbing. Or... at one time there were toilets (not the modern low flush kind!) which had a separate vent connection, just below the bowl rim, to remove ... ah... objectionable odours. We had a couple -- all now gone. Could have been that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_Mankcoppmattmia2
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    All the plumbing appears to have been origional, galvanized and cast. And this went to the back of the toilet, so that would make sense. 

This is a remodel job I'm working on. I should have taken pics before we demoed it. 

I did use the pipe as a chase for my romex to other floors though. Just demoed the stuff in the attic into the chimney. 
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Pipe was right next to origional cast vent. Then followed roof rafter to chimney from here.